cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch up TV and Amazon Prime hopeless with the TG582n.What better router to get?

ben07

Catch up TV and Amazon Prime hopeless with the TG582n.What better router to get?

Hi,
I have the TG582n in my office. Im in a four bed house and the office was the smallest room. The connection for catch up tv and Amazon Prime is hopeless, as more often than not says that the connection has failed, then it will be on , and off etc.
My bedroom is 30feet away from the TG582n and is as bad as downstairs.
I need a really good router to replace the TG582n and I was thinking of this one.
NETGEAR D7000-100UKS Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band 600+1300 Mbps Wireless      http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZU1T8C0?keywords=Netgear%20Nighthawk%20D7000%20router&qid=1455...
I dont particularly mind the cost as I just want to be able to D/L Catch UP TV, and watch Amazon Prime when needed.
Thanks for any advice.
5 REPLIES 5
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Catch up TV and Amazon Prime hopeless with the TG582n.What better router to get?

Have you checked what other wifi access points might be in your area? Although PN routers have often been a bit poor it could just be down to interference from your neighbours. Changing to a router/access point that uses the 5GHz band might help but only if the devices connecting to it also support that band. Another option would be to buy one or two WAPs and just add them to your network but that can be irritating for mobile devices as you might have to keep switching networks.
To be honest though wireless is just not a good choice for streaming or any other continuous throughput activity. It's good for devices that are mobile but anything that stays in one location should be using a wired solution. They are always going to be more reliable and offer better throughput than wireless.
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Catch up TV and Amazon Prime hopeless with the TG582n.What better router to get?

Can you run the catchup tv and amazon prime without problem when close to the router or as Andrue says using a wired connection.
Has the 582 got the latest firmware?
ben07

Thanks for the replsy but being a noob when it comes to this stuff,I got completely lost when you said  " router/access point that uses the 5GHz band" . I will have to get someone in and hopefully he/she will be able to advise me correctly and sort me out.
So frustrating not getting catch up and Prime because of a bad signal.
I will see if I can sort out the latest firmware.
BTW im on fibre up to 37megs.
Thanks anyway. Wink
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I know you said you weren't bothered about cost but I bought a HomeHub 5A cheap off ebay to replace the TG582n and I find the wireless coverage very good. There are also plenty of other offerings out there (which I can't comment on) but the HH5A has given me no issues.
I also agree that the TG582n wi-fi coverage is pretty poor (the main reason I changed to the HH5A).
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm currently using a Plusnet Hub One replacing the BT Hub 5 (changed as the BT hub developed a fault and prefer the white colour)
The wifi coverage offered by both are incredibly great and both have 5GHz wifi with AC which gets the wireless devices the fastest speed possible.
Also the advantage of smart wireless offered by both is a bonus - especially when there is interference around
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up