Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat cable 5, 6, 7

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Cat cable 5, 6, 7

So I get good wifi coverage my Asus router is on top of a range of cupboards, 6 foot up, perfect.
To achieve this I have a 'hidden in trunking' 10 metre Cat cable from the modem.
When I first got fibre it was a Cat5 cable and my download speeds were circa 18Mbps. Then I changed it to Cat6 when I spotted it and that increased my speed to a consistent 23Mbps. I've recently changed that to the latest Cat7 cable and so far my download speed seems to be a consistent 25Mbps.
This could all be a red herring but on a 10 metre indoor run with potential interference I believe it helps.
Let's be careful out there !
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cat cable 5, 6, 7

Cheesy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Kremmen
This could almost certainly is all be a red herring

Are you talking about extending your PHONE line to a combined modem/router or is this a LAN cable from the BT modem to your router?
If the former then it's just about possible (though extremely unlikely) if you have SEVERE local interference. If the latter, totally implausible.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

classic placebo affect.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

It's a 10 metre Cat cable from the modem to router (fibre FTTC) that goes past a few electrical bits including a cordless phone and base.
Must be coincidence that my speeds have increased roughly in line with my Cat cable changes.
What goes well with herring ?  Smiley
Let's be careful out there !
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Horseradish?
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Kremmen
It's a 10 metre Cat cable from the modem to router (fibre FTTC) that goes past a few electrical bits including a cordless phone and base.
Not possible then. Not unless one or more of your electrical bits (ooh er missus) is emitting screamingly ridiculous levels of EM.