Did you mean: 

Capped Download Speed?

OldRaft
Grafter

Capped Download Speed?

I have FTTC with 600m of twisted pair to the green cabinet

Long term (twenty or more years) noise on phone line

Calls booked for slower download/phone noise every few months for years

Changed, DECT phone (3 times), cable running outside house to master socket, cable house to telegraph pole and Openreach have also changed the TP to the green cabinet too (possibly more than once)  i.e. EVERYTING from master socket (latest design)  to green cabinet.

There are no additional phone or broadband sockets ONLY the master socket which has a filter (3rd or 4th I can no longer remember)  plugged into the test socket. Problems are so often that seem little point in re-fitting the face plate.

At the end of March 2021 I had a number of resets often several in a day by PN, these would normally be at 0100 hours or so but were mostly daytime.   Booked call, reason given on "failed"  GEA test  as...

-----

"Service found to be affected by existing network event. If fault is known to be caused by something other than the existing network event, please submit a trouble report"

and

"I have checked your line and can see that a BT have reported that there is a major service issue reported in your area that is affection your broadband connection".

--------

Once all this had stopped (early April 2021) I noticed that my "normal" download speed had dropped from 42 Mbps which it manages for weeks or months between faults, to 32 Mbps ish regardless of time of day, day of week etc.  Upload always varies a lot often dropping from "normal" 12 Mbps to 1 Mbps, this is often but not always fixed by a software reset of my modem, i.e. not a power cycle.

Neither a soft nor hard reset or swapped micro-filter (do passive components fail that often) (still in test socket) changed these figures of  32/12,  which as mentioned were the same regardless of when speed was checked (always with the same test site)

So why is my normal download speed stuck rigidly at 32 Mbps. Which happens to be just above the contract minimum.  OK measured by PN the speed they use for the contract is the raw speed which for 32 Mbps at user end is likely to be 40 ish.

Looking at speed tests made every day I noticed that apart from download signal to noise Margin being slightly higher at 7.x rather than 6.x that the "Rate"  was always  39,999 as below...

Attainable Rate (Kbps)

Rate (Kbps)

OK the "Rate" does change when there has been a reset by me or PN but after at most a day it stabilises at exactly 39,999  every day.  Checking back prior to end of March 2021 the Rate was also constant at a single figure for weeks or months, allowing for changes when the line was reset that is. 

Attainable Rate (Kbps)

Rate (Kbps)

So prior to end March 2021 the "Rate"  was constantly 46,791 (for years) 

-----------------

I use my own modem and so stats possibly easier to see and ability to ask the maker for advice which when I asked about the FIXED "Rate" was ........

"If every time you re-sync the line and it always shows 39,999, and before the issues started to occur it was always a higher sync rate 49,791, this means either of the following

1. ISP has capped your sync speeds for some reason
2. DLM has capped your sync speeds for some reason

I think you might need to check with your ISP to why the sync speeds might be capped (the sync speeds on the VDSL connection should not be capped by the router) "

-----------------

I have attempted to get to the bottom of this with PN ending up on the "cancellation line" which now seems to get you a tech person.  As the outcome was a long winded repeat of all the tests I have done every time for years. "Are you using Wifi  {as always no I don't use WiFi for my PC always wired Ethernet }  etc. etc. and back to changing the micro-filter again and "a wait and see if the phone noise goes away"

Funny part was after a test the guy called me back and the phone line {only at my end which is often the case} was very noisy.  

End result if you aren't asleep yet is why is my speed now stuck at 32 Mbps when for years it was 42 ? 

Bfn... 

3 REPLIES 3
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Capped Download Speed?

Stop reporting broadband speed faults, het the phone noise sorted first - don't even mention broadband speeds, just phone noise.

OldRaft
Grafter

and when the phone line is fixed and the Rate is till 39,999 ? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

If the BT engineer doesn't do it automatically, PN will request a DLM reset which will remove the banding that's limiting to 39.99

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.