cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot use internet 90% of time, help for a less than tech savvy user please?

midnightraven3

Cannot use internet 90% of time, help for a less than tech savvy user please?

Good morning everyone, I have come here as I cannot access the net approx 90% of the time now. Had fibre from plusnet for around 6 months, initially we were pleased (switched from sky) Now using the net is frustrating at best. I know VERY little, and managed to do a speed test (38 minutes it took) eventually i got a reading
0.86Mb download speed
3.27Mb upload
244ms ping time
I am unsure what to do (if i can do anything)
could anyone give me any pointers please?
7 REPLIES 7
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Cannot use internet 90% of time, help for a less than tech savvy user please?

There are quite a few possible reasons.  I think in this case you best bet is to phone customer service (0800 432 0200) and see if they can help.  I don't know how long the queues are at the moment, though.
Good luck.
midnightraven3

Re: Cannot use internet 90% of time, help for a less than tech savvy user please?

Thank you, i shall do that now Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

First thing to try is dial 17070 from your phone, select the quiet line test and listen for any hissing or crackles.
You could also try turning both the modem and router off for a few minutes then turn on the modem, wait a couple of minutes and turn the router back on.
If you have noise on your phone line then this normally indicates a line fault which will need to be fixed before your speeds improve.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you normally use a wireless connection to the router are you seeing the same if you try wired?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Nothing obvious found on a line test.
Please follow the advice offered above, particularly ensuring you are testing wired.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
midnightraven3

thank you
i tried the quiet line test, there was nothing to hear at all
we have switched off/on again the router multiple times the past week or so to see if it made a difference, and it hasnt Sad
I shall try a wired connection and see what happens Smiley
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Don't reboot too often as this can cause problems if you don't disconnect first.
I suspect a wired connection will sort it though. Please post the results once the tests are done so that we can advise further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team