cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot play online games

burstatron

Cannot play online games

Hi all
I recently moved house and got fibre installed. This came with a new router.
In my previous house all steam games would connect and could play online no problem.
Offline games are still fine so I have ruled steam out.
My PC hardware and OS are unchanged (win 10)
Since the new fibre install any steam game which requires a server connection will time out and not connect (eg DayZ)
I have tried:
PC
Logging in/out steam
Creating windows firewall exceptions
Disabling windows firewall
Disabling antivirus
ROUTER
Disabling router firewall
UPNP definately enabled
Portforwarding required ports
Adding PC to DMZ
I have used an online port checker and it's telling me ports are closed, so I'm convinced the router is not doing what it's supposed to, and it is the only real change in the set up.
This new plusnet router is even more basic, with less control than the last one, but moving from copper to fibre and the introduction of the BT modem I'm not sure how compatible the routers are (ie used the old router but couldn't establish a connection)
Does anyone have any suggestions of things to try?
Thank you
Joe
7 REPLIES 7
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Cannot play online games

A long shot but have you checked your plusnet fire wall, you will need to lo on to your member centre and look under connection settings.
burstatron

Hi Den
Thanks I haven't tried that, and I will see, although pre-move it was ok so I doubt it will solve the problem.
I was disappointed in the ultra-basic gui of the router. I found this googling, which improves things somewhat, but hasn't help solve the issue.
192.168.1.254/expert_user.html More functions and access to the router
burstatron

Ok in the member centre
Broadband firewall - OFF
Safesurf - Unrestricted
burstatron

bump for help
this is really starting to cheese me off and I don't know what else to try
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

what router were you using before the sagemcom one ?
the problem is quite possibly the router not doing what its supposed to, in which case you might be able to use your old router, if your old router was the tg582n then you will need ot get the firmware updated to the fibre version and it will use one of the Ethernet ports to connect to the modem , if you had a home hub v4 or 5 then you should be able to plug that into the modem and type in your username /password in the connection wizard as a pppoe connection and continue using it, if you used a different router then so long as its pppoe capable you should be fine to do something similar with that.
failing that do some research and buy a VDSL2+ router would be my suggestion
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Wouldn't Surprise me if PN safesurf is the culprit
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
burstatron

Hi nanotm
thanks for your reply
Before the sagecom one I was using an old belkin modem router I bought an Asus ac56u yesterday to use behind the BT box which has helped, for example DayZ now works as do some other games. Unfortunately not everything is working. Fishing Planet is one that just fails to connect, it's not the end of the world but it's irritating.
I'll probably try the steam game specific forum as I have narrowed it down to a few things, I'm satisfied it's not ISP related and I'm no longer using ISP hardware.
Cheers!
@ rongtw Safesurf is disabled