cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to some websites

dsalazar
Dabbler

Re: Cannot connect to some websites

I changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 as another poster mentioned and it fixed the problem for me. I didn't know that you could bypass SafeGuard by just changing the DNS server on the router or client.

mcderd
Dabbler

I always use 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 just tried it on my PC, and I can get to reddit.com However I cannot get to it on my tablet, that is also set to 8.8.8.8

Strange?

smoakley

Is this the same with the steam store?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It is/was affecting access to Steam too. Are you still having problems?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dsalazar
Dabbler

If I switch back to the default DNS settings I still can't access Reddit or Steam. The DNS resolves the names to the wrong ip address. Using the Google DNS servers works fine.

For example for store.steampowered.com Google resolves to 104.82.140.165 and the Plusnet DNS are resolving to 81.139.57.97

mcderd
Dabbler

I can Access Reddit on my PC, but when I use the app on my phone or tablet I get "Network Error" I have tried setting the DNS on phone tablet to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

I am new to Plusnet, and this was working fine with my old ISP.

If I try to go to Reddit in Chrome on the phone/tablet I get a message to "Check your Internet connection"

I added reddit.com to the whitelist in "SafeGuard", this made no difference

Has anyone got this working on a phone/tablet when using Plusnet WiFi?

smoakley

yes still unable to access the steam store

dsalazar
Dabbler

Have you tried rebooting the tablet? DNS values are cached.

smoakley

its not a tablet my laptop, pc and phones can not connect, reset and still not connecting, fine on 4G fine at work not on my home network.

dsalazar
Dabbler

Apologies, I was trying to respond to mcderd that is having problems just with his laptop after switching to Google DNS

mcderd
Dabbler

Thanks dsalazar

I did just try and set up DNS again on my tablet, re-booted, it connected but had an exclamation make next to the WiFi icon, I went in again and set back to DHCP instead of Static, and it started to work.

Strangely, did not have to make the same change on 5GHz connection, that just worked once the 2.4GHz was working. I can now use Reddit again.

Many Thanks

Stewie470

Seems to be sorted now, as I can connect to reddit and steam. 

mcderd
Dabbler

Yes Stewie470 it seems so, thanks for letting us know.

I thought the DNS changes I made to my phone and tablet had sorted it, but have now found it works on my wife's tablet where I have not fiddled with DNS, so probably was a coincidence!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Stewie470 wrote:

Seems to be sorted now, as I can connect to reddit and steam. 

Made a change an hour or so ago that should have restored service. Shout up if the problems persist.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dogsoldier

Well I seem to have cured my issues, well so far so good.

First off I give up on making my own DNS changes so reset the router to default and rebooted. I then cleared all my devices and reconnected them all and so far that appears to be working.

My issues with my Sky box, tablet, cell phone and Firestick have improved however are still there but I am now thinking  poor Wifi at this point is the most likely culprit. When I'm in the room with the router they work fine, but throughout the rest of the, house, they vary considerably. 

I therefore downloaded Wifi analyser to my tablet and immediately noticed that throughout most of my house my Wifi single is poor, in-fact so poor that I can detect 5 BT home hubs belonging to my neighbours all producing a stronger WiFi signal. 

So I think after Christmas I'm going to dump the Plusnet router in favour of something a little more powerful!