cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect since 18th October.

SayPookGuyJuy

Cannot connect since 18th October.

I am on 38 mb fibre. Please can someone answer the following questions:
Does the BT openreach modem need to be left on all the time?
If this is the case can the router be turned off when not in use?
Can an extension socket be used?
Been with Plusnet since August and had 4 outages so far which coincides with the Plusnet outages page. Since yesterday morning could not connect.
Yesterday evening spent 1hour 42 minutes talking to Liam at technical support. Tried my Billion 8800nl with built in VDSL modem. Then openreach modem with Billion 7800DXL. Also tried the modem on its own with lan cable. I tried connecting using 3 different computers, one with Windows 7,
Windows 8.1 & MAC Snow Leopard.
I was getting error 651 with Pppoe via BT openreach modem. Liam seemed to think I need updated drivers. Which is then when we tried the MAC.
This morning spoke to Hayley who seemed to think the cause is the modem & router needs to be connected to the MASTER socket downstairs NOT through my extension which Liam checked with his colleagues said would be fine. I've been using this extension with other providers for 7 plus years. The previous owner of this house was a BT engineer who fitted it.
Hayley blamed me first for turning my router off when not in use and then my equipment. I Seriously don't believe all 3 pieces of my mentioned equipment can go wrong at the same time. I've entered in my username and password very carefully.
Now I'm told I will need to wait 72 hours for technical faults test. There is another person who posted who waited 9 days. In the end they had to carry out a port reset. I was told that BT wholesale perform this?
Never had problems before with AOL, Telewest, Eclipse, 02 & Sky with turning off the router when not in use.
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Cannot connect since 18th October.

If the extension socket is a telephone extension socket it cannot be used.
A data extension has to specially installed and has a different socket into which you can directly plug the modem.
If you are using an extension with a separate filter it won't work.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SayPookGuyJuy

I have been using this socket since August. Been giving me a download speed of 50mb. After a month downgraded to 38mb. The speed has been this consistently.  The extension socket is connected to a BT openreach mk2 Master socket with 2 wires going to the A & B terminals.  Has the master socket been known to fail?  Although if this was the case I wouldn't be getting a solid DSL light.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there
It looks like you've had a stale session on both our end and our suppliers systems. For the record our system was showing your connection had a uptime of over 30 hours despite all the things that our support team and yourself have tried.
I've done a remote session kill to clear this and I can see a new connection has been made straight away. Can you confirm if you're still having issues?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SayPookGuyJuy

I am getting a connection now.
Getting download speed of 33.62mb on Speedtest.net.
Thank you very much.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fantastic
Glad to see your back online  Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SayPookGuyJuy

Am I allowed to take my modem & router back upstairs to connect to my extension socket?
I will leave the modem on 24/7 from now on but I'm a bit worried my wifi signal could get hacked. Even though I have WPA-PSK enabled and put in a strong password.
I have heard on forums when people were debating about buying a router with a VDSL modem built in. Some said it was a bad idea. If the router was separate from the modem it doesn't matter how many times you turn off the router, you will not have problems with speed drops or connectivity issues. This is is so long as the BT Openreach modem is constantly left on.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yes the issue was with the stale session so there's no reason why you can't move it back
With regards to leaving the modem on as long as you have a strong password set then from personal experience you'll rarely have any issues
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SayPookGuyJuy

Thank you.
I found by googling that a stale session is caused by a lack of data transmission between the End User and the BT DSLAM.
This increases the case of having my BT Openreach modem left on 24/7. Which I will do from now on.
Surely the BT DSLAM only communicates to the BT Open reach Modem NOT the Router part.
If it is the case of leaving the BT Open reach Modem on as well as my Billion 7800DXL Router then I may as well go back to using my Billion 8800nl. This has an integrated VDSL modem. I'd rather have 1 piece of equipment on rather than 2.
They do get warm I'm worried about potential fire hazards.