Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect, but DSL light on?

caryh
Grafter

Re: Cannot connect, but DSL light on?

@jmcgarrigle
It may appear to be a major outage to you, but its actually a small proportion of users affected. It appears to work out at a few percent of customers.
I don't condone the fact we have heard nothing in six hours, but people moaning that there hasn't been an update don't help.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What's a "small majority"?
Broadband Connectivity
Broadband
Posted on: Saturday 31 January 2015, 00:14
We are currently aware that a small majority of our customers are having problems authenticating their connections.
This is causing higher than expected call queues however our network engineers are looking into the issue at present and we're hoping to have this issue resolved shortly.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Adam Cassim,
Customer Relations Team

I suspect he meant "small minority"!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chris73

Looks like Plusnet did provide one further update, but on Twitter. The time stamp would put it at around 8-ish
https://twitter.com/plusnet
evilshubunkin
Dabbler

Was connected fine then at 00:15 just after the status update at 00:14 lost connectivity.
First month with Plusnet - not looking good.  Sad
caryh
Grafter

It doesn't help a great deal when the updates are put under different headings, we now have one status post under broadband and one under internet connectivity, so if anyone has bookmarked only one of the status threads it might be worth doing the other as well.
jmcgarrigle
Grafter

Quote from: The
It may appear to be a major outage to you, but its actually a small proportion of users affected. It appears to work out at a few percent of customers.
I don't condone the fact we have heard nothing in six hours, but people moaning that there hasn't been an update don't help.

Have you tried reconnecting yourself?
I have a sneaky suspicion this involves any user who is attempting to authenticate. While that means the immediate impact is relatively minor, as time goes on it becomes increasingly impactful, as a greater number of users are affected by attrition.
As I read the reports and diagnostics; PPP authentication is failing across the board. Anyone currently successfully connected has business as usual, but anyone disconnecting and attempting to re-authenticate is encountering this problem. That, I'm afraid, is an MSO.
"Moaning" certainly doesn't make the engineers able to fix it faster - and I have absolutely no doubt that they are working to do so right now. However when I'm paying a premium for a business connection, I expect reasonable and timely updates regarding any fault. That is my issue... (sorry.. "moan").
JagoTom

My internet is now back on, thought I'd post an update, hopefully the problem is now fixed for everyone else.
JasonMassey
Grafter

I'm back on-line just now. 
I won't be restarting my router again in a hurry!
MrFraggle
Grafter

This was seemingly a fault at Plusnets end as I lost connection yesterday after having been newly connected yesterday. When I eventually got through to technical help (half hour delay) a chirpy tech guy said do not worry we are working on the fault and it should be sorted later that evening. I assume the delay in getting through was others having the same problem as me.
Now can someone explain why a general text cannot be sent alerting us to the problem we maybe experiencing? PlusNet send texts for everything else or least it seemed to me they did after I first signed up. Seems ridiculous that we have to hang on the phone for half an hour just to be told it is a fault their end.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry for the late updates last night, I'll feed this back to the team. We've kept an eye on things overnight and can see that people are connecting as normal now.

Now can someone explain why a general text cannot be sent alerting us to the problem we maybe experiencing?

Honestly, that's because we don't know which customers were affected as there are always customers offline anyway and sending a text message out to several hundred thousand customers could cause addtional concern, therefore increasing the already high call queues at the time even further.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TimStephenson
Grafter

Hi Chris, please pass on our collective thanks to the team working on the problem.
Can something please be done however about the lack of communication during an outage? From the one update posted around 6pm there was no official news until much later in the evening / early hours. I fully appreciate that most engineers won't be interested in communicating with customers directly but for an issue of this scale, would it really have been too much to ask for someone to post a regular update... every hour maybe? 
While the vast majority of users are probably not interested in knowing more than "we're working on it", those who are more technical would normally appreciate a little more detail so that we have a feel for what's going on, and how long it's all likely to take to fix.
Thanks Smiley
Tim
Chris
Legend

The lack of updates is something I'm feeding back internally, we should have been posting updates every couple of hours at the least in my opinion, sorry that the updates were so delayed and sporadic.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
WWWombat
Grafter

The graph of connected users can be found at the bottom of this page.
I've attached a snapshot below; You can see that the problem started around 5pm yesterday, with some respite around 7:30pm, until things recovered at 12:30am. There looks to have been a subsequent problem with ptn-ag1.
Total impact was maybe 40,000 users.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
sxotney

Is this completely fixed? I wasn't affected last night but sometime before 1pm today the connection dropped. I'm still stuck without a connection. DSL light is on the BT modem.
Can someone in plusnet advise if this is a repeat of the same issue please?
Thanks
Chris
Legend

Not that we're aware of. I'd suggest that it's more likely a single line issue impacting you at the moment as the reason behind the connections not being started last night was resolved. There are still some offline, but anyone who's been online today and disconnects should get straight back on.
As the DSL light is on that suggests you're in sync. Can you try logging in to your router and seeing if you can hit connect?