Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot achieve minimum guaranteed access line speed

nailzy
Dabbler

Cannot achieve minimum guaranteed access line speed

Hi all,

Had to give up trying to use live chat or getting through on the phone Sad

Basically, I upgraded my contract early October 2019 and wen't through all the spiel over the phone. Was told the minimum line access speed would be 70.9Mbps (which was also emailed to me in a ticket) however, it's been 3/4 months now and I can never go over around 57Mbps.

Initially thought it was the usual case of microfilters and modems, so invested in some new filters and various modems, currently using a Fritz!Box 7530 which gives some detailed stats.

psnet.PNG

psnet2.PNG

Doesn't seem like my line length if accurate at 517m would be cable of the speed I was told on the phone and in the ticket.

Does this mean my minimum contract term no longer applies?

16 REPLIES 16
S65v10
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Cannot achieve minimum guaranteed access line speed

have you done BT speedtest? check what profile its on...

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com

nailzy
Dabbler

If the sync speed isn't anywhere close then an IP profile isn't going to determine much outside of that Sad either way... for completeness....

psnet3.PNG

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@nailzy 

Your synch speed is fine indicating that your line is capped/banded by Plusnet or Openreach.

No doubt a Plusnet staffer will come along within the next 24 hours and pick this up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

nailzy
Dabbler

My sync speed isn't fine - it's currently

Downstream kbit/s 57590

Upstream kbit/s 12786

My understanding of capping or banding is that doesn't affect sync speed, only throughput. I'm already on a target SNR of 3db.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@nailzy 

My reading of your router stats is that the download synch speed is 80Mbps, hence the low SNR. It's your maximum attainable speed that's 57590kbps, hence my comment. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

nailzy
Dabbler

Unfortunatly you aren't correct - the Fritz!Box modems are DSLAM aware and is telling you the max and minimums the port itself is capable of, not the line. The lines you are looking at relate to the DSLAM values.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @nailzy

I've just amended your line profile to see if this helps.

If it doesn't, could you please raise a fault here and we'll ask our suppliers to take a look at this for you?

Best wishes

Dave

nailzy
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for looking, however no different on my side.

stats.PNG

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

What speed does the dsl checker say your line will support?

Do you have a filtered master socket?

Are you plugged into the hidden test socket behind the faceplate on your master socket?

If not it could be your internal wiring that is limiting your speeds..

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @nailzy

I am sorry to hear of the problems with your broadband.

I can see that a fault has now been raised and our support teams are currently investigating this for you. You can view and respond to the fault ticket here.

Should you have any further problems, please let us know!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
nailzy
Dabbler

I'm getting really triggered now.

Question  was thrown back my way on the 30th of Jan, asking me to be plugged into the test socket and to go back to faults.plus.net. I am permanently plugged into the test socket, and when I went back to faults.plus.net - it told me I'd already submitted my fault and you'd get back to me.

I also replied to ticket  saying that nobody phoned the mobile number I gave you, and with more information as requested. 

I have had zero response since updating this ticket, and it is stuck in the status "Awaiting support team answer"

It's now late on the 6th of February and I've just had an email from Plusnet saying

"Hello Richard,

7 days ago we asked you to complete some actions as part of the investigation into your speed fault.

We've not heard back from you, and need to let you know that if we don't hear from you by 7 days we'll assume that this is no longer an issue and will automatically close your fault."

Can someone please look at this properly as I'm beginning to lose the will with it now. Long and short of it

When I recontracted (question 194875608 ) - I was told my minimum guaranteed access line speed is 70.9 Mbps.

I've never acheived anywhere near 70.9Mbps and now on tickets, I'm being told my minimum guaranteed access line speed is 40Mbps.

There's something clearly gone wrong or I was given the wrong information, and someone needs to take ownership of this for me.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi Richard,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear of the broadband issue and apologise if the issue has not been resolved for you.

I've looked into this and have responded here.

Let us know how that goes.

Thanks - LF

nailzy
Dabbler

Hi

Thanks for replying, I've already updated the ticket with a response.

I keep getting told that the speeds I'm getting are "within range" when I've said multiple times now that when I recontracted (question 194875608 ) - I was told my minimum guaranteed access line speed is 70.9 Mbps.

The issue keeps being glossed over, if my line isn't capable of achieving 70.9 Mbps and I was given that figure in error - I should be allowed to exit my contract free of penalty. There's no point of me booking BT engineers (with a cost that will fall on me if no fault found which you want me to commit to) , to try and get a higher speed if it's not achievable and the figure I was given is incorrect at time of recontracting.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi nailzy,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I appreciate your response and have sent you a message here.

Thanks - LF