Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot achieve download speeds

raoulsilva
Grafter

Cannot achieve download speeds

Hi, 

I never really checked performance until everyone was working at home to tell you the truth.

The welcome email lists:

Broadband product Unlimited Fibre Extra
Estimated speed 66Mbps to 80Mbps

18Mb upload

I have the latest MK4 BT socket in place. No phone plugged in. Router plugged directly in to socket. Tried twisted pair cable as well. Replaced the router supplied from Plusnet with a WRT one to change dns to open dns. Browsing improved slightly, but even midnight to early hours cannot get more than 56 down. Stats below.

Should add this is all over ethernet, plugged directly in to router.

Can anyone from Plusnet help? 

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Cannot achieve download speeds

Can you post the results from this link:https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL - making sure your phone number doesn't show. And the 'Advanced' report from here: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ .

John
raoulsilva
Grafter

Thank you for coming back to me, John.

Please find reports attached.

jab1
Legend

@raoulsilva There is nothing in those reports that suggest you have a problem - taken together they show you are getting around what I would expect.

Just two other reports which may be useful - can you post the page from under the 'Broadband' tab in your 'Members Centre', and the Help Desk report - found under 'Troubleshooting' on your router home page - obscuring any personal details?

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jab1  There is definitely a problem, the speeds are way below the estimates, even below the Handback Threshold, the line to the cabinet is very short as G.Fast is shown as available.

A sync speed of 56Mbps with an estimate of 80Mbps is not right, it almost looks like the speed has been banded but the SNRM figure does not appear to be high so banding seems unlikely.

@raoulsilva  What modem/router are you using, I am not familiar with the stats page you provided. You need to raise a speed fault with Plusnet your speeds should be much better. Try the online fault reporter ....

https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults 

jab1
Legend

@RealAleMadrid Thanks for that - I should have spotted that glaring anomaly - need a second coffee. 😉

John
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @raoulsilva,

I'm sorry to hear the speed is lower than expected. I've tested the line and whilst I can't detect any underlying faults, I've made a change to a setting on the account which may boost the speeds to the estimated range. This should take effect in about an hour or so and may need the router to be rebooted to complete. Please let us know how this goes from your end of things and if the speed still seems to be low, we'll be more than happy to investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
raoulsilva
Grafter

@RealAleMadrid
Thanks for that. I am using the Plusnet router with OpenWRT loaded. I do have the original router somewhere safe, just need to work out where! 

@TheMightyAJ
Thanks, I just rebooted the router although the speed has dropped (please see attached).
I'm just about to send you a PM - should there by a mix up over my forum username and broadband account.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your help.

raoulsilva
Grafter

hi,

Just an update, the @TheMightyAJ  sent me a PM about this straight away although due to work commitments have only just replied. 

Router plugged in directly to the master test socket section. There is no extension wiring. 

Seems to be 52 , 55 / 13, 15 regardless of time of day or night.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @raoulsilva, thanks for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear the speed issues look to be persisting even in the test socket set-up. In which case then, I'd advise raising a fault so we can look into investigating the issue further more than likely through and engineer visit.
A fault can be raised here: faults.plus.net

Feel free to give us a nudge on here after doing so as we'll happily look to get this picked up and progressed further for you.

raoulsilva
Grafter

Hi. Thanks for that.
I've complete the form, so just taking you up on the offer of the nudge @BD
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @raoulsilva

Thanks a lot for letting us know. I can see that our Technical Support Team have picked up the ticket and have sent you a further email.

Please have a read through the engineer charging statement, and respond to the Ticket with suitable dates / times for an engineer visit, this will then be picked back up and actioned accordingly. Let me know once you've responded to it, and I'll happily get the fault raised.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
raoulsilva
Grafter

hi

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help with this.

BT engineer came today and speed is now 78 / 20 

Any idea what it was? I wasn't here.

Nice improvement, cheers! 😀 👋