cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling contract due to rubbish connection

stacylouise1

Cancelling contract due to rubbish connection

I am in a contract with Plusnet until 16th November 2022.

However the connection is rubbish, it constantly drops out, it is slow and lags.

We have tried upgrading our router and using a wifi booster but still the connection is not good enough or constant enough.

Would i be able to get out of my contract based on the fact that plusnet are not providing the service i am paying for?

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Cancelling contract due to rubbish connection

@stacylouise1 Welcome to the forums. In answer to your final question - no.

Have you reported the issues to Plusnet, and given them a chance to resolve them?

Are you actually on an ADSL connection, or VDSL (FTTC)?

What modem/router are you currently using?

John
stacylouise1

Yes i have rang them a few times, they suggested a signal booster i bought one of those.  They suggested a better router, i bought one of those.  But it still constantly cuts out.  I thought i would just give it time, i dont use it much but my kids are constantly coming downstairs to say theyve been kicked off their game or netflix has gone off.  It seems unfair we have to put up with it for another 11 months when plusnet are not providing their part of the contract.

I am on unlimited fibre.  I am currently using a TP link router

jab1
Legend

OK, @stacylouise1 . Sometimes, first line support is not the best, but now you have posted on here, there are plenty of other Community members (and PN Help Team members) who may be able to offer advice.

First things first - Can you post screen shots of (1) the results from BT Broadband (ensuring your phone number doesn't show) and (2) the 'Additional Diagnostics' from BTW Performance Tester ?

Exactly which TP-link modem/router are you using? It would be useful if you could get some stats from that, but having never used that brand, I don't know where to find them, or how useful they are.

Not that this may help, but if you try a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a preferably corded phone - is there any noise on the line after the confirmation of your phone number, apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message?

John
stacylouise1

TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 Wi-Fi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

This is the Router i am using, i was advised to buy this by plusnet customer services.

bt_LI.jpg

I will have to do the performance tester later as i am out at the moment i will post the results later.

Thanks

jab1
Legend

OK. From the Availability Checker you have posted, you are some distance from the cab, so speeds wil be on the low side - although the data on that shot suggests otherwise, I suspect it is not accurate.

From what I can see in that manual, there doesn't appear to be an option to find the general statistics, but there must be, somewhere - Maybe if you log into the TP-link as suggested at Chapter 3 and explore, you may find it.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@jab1 

I don't know if I'm missing something but the post and results above indicate to me that the OP is on FTTC and getting the full 80/20.

I suspect a wireless problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Well perhaps not the full 80/20 since ' am on unlimited fibre '

but with those estimates it should easily be giving a rock solid 40/10

I'm with @Baldrick1 here, its likely a wireless problem...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@MisterW 

Fair cop! I was just quoting the ADSL checker observed speed with it fixed in my head to get the message over that it is highly unlikely that this is a BT network problem.

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1  / @MisterW - Sorry, but if you look at the ADSL speeds, it suggests to me that the cab(s) are some way away, and that observed speed is a bit like mine - told me I was getting 80/19 when I'm only on a 40/10 product, hence I treat them with scepticism, and is why I asked the OP for some hub details, before I passed further comment.

But if you want to take over, be my guests.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@jab1 John, the ADSL speed estimates are based on the distance to the exchange not the cabinet.

and that observed speed is a bit like mine - told me I was getting 80/19 when I'm only on a 40/10 product, hence I treat them with scepticism

I have a theory about the observed speeds... As you say , they dont appear to make sense when on a 40/10 product.

My theory is that they are not ' maximum observed speeds' but rather 'observed maximum speeds' i.e they are the estimated maximum speed, calculated from the actual observed speed and noise margin.

and is why I asked the OP for some hub details, before I passed further comment.

and , you are correct, that would be useful

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

Deleted. @MisterW   has made the same response.

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

@MisterW I am aware of the difference, and maybe I jumped in slightly wrongly there - apologies. However, without some hub/router-modem details I reserve judgement.

John
jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 See above

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If it helps , The DSL stats on the W9970 can be accessed from the 'Status' link at the top of the Menu when logged into the GUI.

It looks something like this

20150618093810.png