Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you remove Stealth Throttling ?

StuartUK35
Grafter

Can you remove Stealth Throttling ?

Hi,
I'm on the older 80/20 Fibre package, which gives me the allowance of 250GB per month.
Supposedly, there are no restrictions, no shaping, no nothing, just pure fibre broadband with this package.
There is 1 exception, that torrents/P2P are capped between 8pm & 10pm  , which is fair enough.....
Speedtest always show an average of say 75mb down & 17mb Up, and always has done.....
When I download a file, it comes down at say 8.8mb a sec, happy days....
However.................
I cant understand why my upload speed has an issue ? (I don't use wifi)
When copying a file from my machine to a machine over the WAN (which uses ADSL PlusNet, and the average UK speed of 6mb), then I should be able to upload/download that file at a max rate of say 650kb a sec......
Yet, I see a max rate of around 305kb a sec..
I then send a file to another machine which uses Fibre, and has a 70/15mb pipe, and the file still transfers at 305kb average.....
Whether I use Remote transfer from teamviewer, or use another tool like a personal cloud, the speed is the same.......
Sooooooooooooooo, is there a stealth Throttle in place for UPLOADS that restricts my speed, etc ?
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Can you remove Stealth Throttling ?

We don't apply any limits to the upstream, so any slowdowns aren't being caused by us. Which router are you using and do you get good transfer speeds over the LAN?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
StuartUK35
Grafter

Hi Smiley
I use a Cisco E3000 Router...
Lan speeds are gigabit, and wifi gives me average 3.54mb a sec (G)
If there are no caps on Upstreams on legacy fibre products, then i'll just have to accept it is what it is..
cheers
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Basically due to the nature of the network the upload doesn't pass through our traffic management devices in the same way as the downstream does, so we don't apply traffic management to the upload. From your first update you've tried this with a few different services, including direct transfer to another PC and cloud uploads, so I'm running out of ideas a little! Do you happen to run any P2P software at all that you can test the upload (seeding) on? Legal torrents only please.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
StuartUK35
Grafter

I'll give a torrent a go, I have access to a machine on Cable with 50mb pipe, will test P2P that way
cheers
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quick Qn: have you checked whether there is bandwidth control set in the router for the ports used for P2P?
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
StuartUK35
Grafter

My router has no bandwith settings, and if it did, I wouldn't set any...
I would use the software to control bandwith.
Max speed I can upload a file using a torrent client to a machine which is on a Cable 50mb pipe = 401kb average upload.
Using Teamviewer file transfer, average is 410kb
Will test an FTP client later.
So in a nutshell, my 70mb down/17mb (speedtest.net) up fibre gives me max download speed which is good, but constant upload speed seems to cap at 4mb.......
Will run some more tests and report back, not a major issue anyway, I just think there is a stealth throttle somewhere ! Cheesy  Cheesy
**  Just tested again, using FTP, can get 1MB upload from that **
So, guess there is no stealth throttle then Smiley Smiley