cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you please reset my speed profile after upgrading router.

ynotchat

Can you please reset my speed profile after upgrading router.

I was using a plusnet one hub happily for the last 2 years. was getting a solid 80mbit down and 20mbit up... pretty much every day on speedtest.net and was very happy with the service.

stupidly, i decided to updgrade my router so i could get better wifi around the house as well as some QOS for gaming. since upgrading, my speed has dropped dramatically (both download and upload) on a wired connecton. i've gone from solid 80/20 to 50-70 down and 11-15 up.

It may be due to me messing around with the VDSL modem and router setup which probably caused quite a few up and down connections until i got it working (linksys wrt32x + hauwei hg612 modem (with G.int firmware) that has caused a change in my IP profile (from reading in the forums). the modem says i have a solid 79,999down/20mbit up, sync rate with plusnet/BT (from the adsl stats), but the download speeds are no where near what i used to get (from speedtest.net or from the BT wholesale speed checker).

Can somene from Plusnet take a look at my settings and see if they can reset my line so it functions like it did before i upgraded my router? I've tried waiting 2 weeks with no disconnections but its just as slow now as when i originally got it working on the new router. Today, i also tried throwing my old plusnet hub back in (with just my pc connected with a wire and wifi turned off), but the speed is pretty much the same as my hauwei+linksys router setup.

any other suggestion welcome!

5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Can you please reset my speed profile after upgrading router.

Hi there, 

I've just tested your line and we're not seeing any obvious issues. We have seen 6 or 7 drops in the past couple of days but that doesn't seem to have affected line management or the IP profile at all. 

It would be a good idea to go through the troubleshooting here next before reporting a fault at http://faults.plus.net: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ynotchat

Hi Adam, thanks for getting back to me.

I've done all the usual troubleshooting including changing RJ11 cables, RJ45 cables, removing all complexity and just having the plusnet one hub and my own pc (cabled) only. I didnt do a master socket test because I'm on one of the filters thats built into the socket on the wall. I also cannot listen to my phone line (i dont have a landline phone). I do have my sync speed and line noise SNR db information though from my modem:

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 1
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 32070 Kbps, Downstream rate = 89276 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime

SNR (dB): Down:8.7  UP:15.3
Attn(dB): Down: 11.1 UP: 0.0
Pwr(dBm): Down:14.1 UP: -3.1

Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 19999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps - a good sync rate it seems (80/20).

Bear in mind though that before i put on the new router+modem combo, it was a solid 80mbit down and 20mbit up on most speedtest sites and now its much poorer, so something has changed because even after I put the old plusnet one hub back into play (with the same cabling), the speed was still at least 10-20mbit/s slower on download and 5-10mbit/s slower on upload. I've left it for at least a week, but do you think that my SNR Margin fixed by BT is higher due to router/modem reboots and will take longer to  to go back to its original one (if it is that)?

thanks,

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@ynotchat,

Just an FYI there's nothing to reset on the line so we can't put through an FTTC reset. 

If your throughput is lower that it should be can you log us some BTW speedtests on speedtest.btwholesale.com (using the further diagnostics option) and we'll have to progress it as a throughput fault. 

ynotchat

Thanks Joe.

I'll kick off all users today from wifi and cabled and run some speed tests from my cabled PC alone from both speedtest.net and the BT wholesale test.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

No worries, @ynotchat.

Keep us updated as to how you get on.

Thanks - LF