Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you please recommend a Fibre Router

deejayburnout
Grafter

Can you please recommend a Fibre Router

Morning Peeps
I am running the new Sagemcom Plusnet Fibre router ( the one with the pink legs ) and however fast the fibre is, the WIFI signal is poor and slow. Very disappointing. I am looking to replace it with an aftermarket one, but do not know where to start. Can any of you kind people recommend one to me.
It must have
2.4ghz and 5ghz bands and at least 1 USB port for external HD.
Not bothered by looks as it is going under the stairs at home
Thanks
25 REPLIES 25
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Can you please recommend a Fibre Router

TP Link TD W9980 is worth a look.
It will also replace the BT Openreach modem at the same time.
There's a few of us on here happily using the W9980  Wink
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

A lot of people here use the ASUS routers  Wink  in fact i have just ordered one myself  RT-AC68U  which replaces the two PN & BT
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

in fact i have just ordered one myself  RT-AC68U  which replaces the two PN & BT
Err, I hope you made a typo there ???. The RT-AC68U will still require the use of the BT modem. You need the DSL-AC68U to replace both the PN router and the BT modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MartyPop
Rising Star

Been using an ASUS RT-AC56U for the last eight months, which has two USB ports on the back (1 x USB2, 1 x USB3). It has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless bands and signal strength is excellent.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
A pretty comprehensive list regards to Kitz
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Asus RT here as well. Breeze to setup and been rock solid.
Keeping the BT modem means you can place the router on the end of a lengthy CAT cable for improved wireless coverage. Mines on a 10 metre CAT6
Let's be careful out there !
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yes you are right mr W its a  DSL not the RT  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Asus RT-N56U here, 2 years of totally trouble free use & I'm also running mine on 10 metres of Cat 6.  Smiley It allows much more flexibility to keep the modem, I can't think of any reason not to have one.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

I like my Billion 6300nx as it supports dual stack IP (it worked with my previous ISP and if Plusnet ever roll out IPv6 support it should handle it). It's also very reliable whereas other routers I've used have crashed a couple of times a year. It was also quite cheap when I bought it. I went through three (or was it four?) routers before I found one that could handle dual stack IP and was reliable.
Some reviews mention poor wifi signal but use a dedicated WAP anyway so that doesn't bother me.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Thanks guys.
i will give them all a look.
TimStephenson
Grafter

Another recommendation for the Asus DSL-AC68U; great router, fast, reliable and astounding wifi range on 2.4 & 5ghz bands.
We now have 2 of them on a couple of lines, one running FTTC and the other ADSL 2+.  Best routers we've used for a long time.
fishpan
Dabbler

My vote for the ASUS RT-AC68U as well. If you have the budget and need every bit of speed, I would go for the PCE-AC68 PCI-E adapter as well, or the USB equivalent. Great devices to go with the Asus routers. The Netgear line of routers is awesome as well - R7000 Nighthawk and the D7000 Modem/Router combo that was just recently released. Wifi extremely good on all these devices, with the RT-AC68U beating my power line adapter setup when I use the PCI-E adapter to go with it. Best of luck.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Quote from: MartyPop
Been using an ASUS RT-AC56U for the last eight months, which has two USB ports on the back (1 x USB2, 1 x USB3). It has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless bands and signal strength is excellent.

S just bought one of these and how easy is it to setup.
Do i still need the PL router they sent me? i presume i plug the OR box in the the Asus and away i go?
MartyPop
Rising Star

You won't need the PN router anymore but I'd keep it just in case you have any problems.
Disconnect from PN and then unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the PN router and plug it into the WAN port in the back of the Asus router. Then, you need to hook up your PC to the Asus router with an ethernet cable plugged into one of the LAN ports and finally, log into the Asus router(192.168.1.1) and configure it for use with PN. It's a while since I set mine up but there's a "Quick Internet Setup" option in the top left-hand corner which I would have a look at first. That's just a very brief rundown but if you're using wireless, you'll need to set that up as well. You may also need to reboot your PC.