cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you get Openreach to install when you are just over the 'limit' for FTTC acceptability?

FishyDelishy
Dabbler

Can you get Openreach to install when you are just over the 'limit' for FTTC acceptability?

I have a friend that I recommended to PlusNet who currently has an ADSL service.  He wants to upgrade to FTTC.  His cabinet is FTTC enabled but he's told that his house cannot use FTTC at the moment.

When we checked on www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx  he gets the message "Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet. This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options."

He lives at number 25 on the street.  Any house 25 and below gets the same message.  However, if you check for the house directly next to his, number 27 or houses with a higher street number it says "Great news, Superfast fibre is in your area."

Therefore it appears that mathematically he's just over the limit of the acceptable distance.

So, the question is, is there a way to get Openreach to agree to come and install and test FTTC at his house?  He fully accepts that the speed may only be 10mbps for example, but that's three times better than his ADSL service and would make a huge difference to him.

8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can you get Openreach to install when you are just over the 'limit' for FTTC acceptability?

can you compare the results from here - munge out the address when you post the results http://www.dslchecker.bt.com selecting the address option at the bottom

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Can you get Openreach to install when you are just over the 'limit' for FTTC acceptability?

This might seem like an odd question but have you checked that houses #25 and #27 are on the same cabinet?

The DSL checker previously referred to gives you the cabinet number.

Brian

FishyDelishy
Dabbler

I'm struggling to find a phone number for one of the neighbours, everyone is exdirectory!

These are the results for my friends house

nofttc.png

bmc
Hero

Try the post code version

Brian

FishyDelishy
Dabbler

Hi, yes they are both on cabinet 10 from the Medstead exchange.

FishyDelishy
Dabbler

Found this using the address checker for his neighbours.  I'm amazed FTTC speed is lower than ADSL speed for that address?! 

I guess as the cabinet is already FTTC enabled and the speed is that poor that he will NEVER get FTTC at his house?!  

neighbour.png

bmc
Hero

I suspect the DSL results will have given a different picture for #27

The CodeLook website shows Cabinet P10 as "FTTC Available from 8th January 2015 "

So for some reason a group of houses were not added to the FTTC cabinet.

Brian

bmc
Hero

Our previous posts crossed!!!

Have a look at https://www.hampshiresuperfastbroadband.com/

If I've read the site correctly there are plans to upgrade FTTC for the area concerned and your friend can register their interest.

Brian