Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upload a picture to Ebay...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Can't upload a picture to Ebay...

Hello,

I've recently been having problems with my fibre broadband. I'm on a 40/2 package, my IP profile is 38.7 and I used to be able to download at up to around 37 Mbps and upload at about 1.5 Mbps.  Lately my download speed has been anything betwen 15 and 30 Mbps.  Plusnet recommended I take the router out of circuit and connect the PC directly to the Openreach modem which in turn is connected to my BT faceplate.  My speeds are still similar, presumably this confirms my Plusnet router is not the problem.  I am at present waiting for them to contact me after making further tests.

In the meantime I've been trying to list items on Ebay.  Now I've listed dozens of items in the past and don't normally have a problem.  However now I find that I cannot upload pictures.  The little graphic which says the picture is being loaded just goes round and round and round...

Could the two things be connected?

Interestingly I never realised that I could get fibre broadband without a router...  Presumably all the router does is provide more than one 'output' port and give WiFi? 

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can't upload a picture to Ebay...

eBay seem to be having all sorts of internal problems this week, and I've contacted them almost daily to report various things that have stopped working,  although I haven't tried uploading any images.

Regarding your direct connection to the modem,  if your PC is running Windows then make sure that your firewall is blocking all incoming ports that aren't being used, as having a router in the chain will normally be blocking any external port probes from external attackers, either with it's built-in firewall, or by the action of NAT.  Removing the router may be exposing your PC to external threats, unless you have taken steps to prevent it. 

While you are operating in this configuration, it may be worth setting the Plusnet online "Broadband Firewall" to the "High" setting, to block the majority of external port probes.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

E Bay Picture Uploads glitch:

For some time using IE11 I've not been able to upload images; using an alternative browser, it works fine.

Just tried the EDGE browser, & that works fine too re uploading images Smiley

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks for your input guys.

Nibiru - I've done as you suggested and set the Plusnet online "Broadband Firewall" to the "High" setting.  I'm also running Windows own firewall.  Incidentally the OS is XP Pro which I've been running ever since it came out.  I've tried the others but still prefer XP...  GRC Shields Up tells me I'm protected so that should take care of things untill I get my speeds sorted and am able to put my router back in line.

Gel - I normally use Firefox - v46 at the moment.  I did also try Internet Explorer but no luck with Ebay.

I've been trying again this morning and the little uploading grapic has been merrily spinning away for the last ten minutes so obviously the problem remains.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

John