cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upgrade to fibre extra as exchange does not have the capacity for 76mb. Can this happen?

jezmjohn
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Can't upgrade to fibre extra as exchange does not have the capacity for 76mb. Can this happen?

Hi

I tried to upgrade to Fibre Extra, I almost went for it when the exchange was enabled in March but decide to wait as the salesperson said I could upgrade at any time.

When I go into the online portal it says:

Unlimited Usage Allowance

n/a - n/a * download speed (estimated)

n/a - n/a * upload speed (estimated)

*A temporary fault has stopped us checking your line speed. This doesn't affect your order. If you're happy to continue without a line speed estimate, please click continue below. Alternatively, call our support team.

There was not continue button so I rang up and was told I can't upgrade as the exchange does not have the capacity for fibre extra. (76mb)

Can this happen?

We are in a small village and could there be capacity problems less than 3 months after being enabled?

We had so many issues getting plus net's system to recognise that we could get fibre I am wondering (hoping) that this is a mistake as well!

Any advice would be great, as if it can be done its our new billing date on the 5th.

Best wishes

Jez

6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Can't upgrade to fibre extra as exchange does not have the capacity for 76mb. Can this happen?

Hi jezmjohn,

Due to the way we provide our services it isn't possible for there to be capacity for up to 38mbps broadband but not up to 76mbps or vice versa.

http://dslchecker.bt.com/ does indicate an estimated range of speeds available to you as well as if fibre is available but the two are separate.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Can't upgrade to fibre extra as exchange does not have the capacity for 76mb. Can this happen?

Further to Adam's response, I've raised this with the Openreach Fibre Enquiries team and taken a personal ticket on your account to provide an update once I've had a response on this matter for you.

I'm hoping this is just a records issue, as the line length calculated for your line is much higher than the line length estimate, so I have a feeling the availability checkers aren't showing fibre availability based on the (Hopefully incorrect) calculated line length.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jezmjohn
Dabbler

Hi Harry and Adam

Thanks, we had this issue when we first signed up - I think one of you sorted it then but I was regisetered under another forum name and had nightmare password issues so set up a new name!

Openreach has us in excess of 3000ft away when we are actually 300ft!

I guess that I will miss my chance for upgrading this month as I need to do it today or tomorrow or can a manual upgrade request be put in?

Thanks again for all your help, I suspected the chap I spoke to was confused by our post code situation!

Best wishes

Jez

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@jezmjohn wrote:
Openreach has us in excess of 3000ft away when we are actually 300ft!

That's essentially what caught my eye when checking the details for your line

Enhanced Line Characteristics:

@jezmjohn wrote:
I guess that I will miss my chance for upgrading this month as I need to do it today or tomorrow or can a manual upgrade request be put in?
Although we won't be able to put the upgrade request through until availability is showing, with upgrades from ADSL to FTTC, the package change would/should take affect from the date the upgrade order completes, so I wouldn't worry about that side of things, there's still a chance (Although no guarantees at this point) that you could be on fibre by the end of the month Thumbs_Up
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
jezmjohn
Dabbler

Hi Harry

Just to confirm - we are on Fibre now just the 38mb circuit of which most of the time we get 24 to 32mb.

What we want to do is upgrade from 37mb to 76mb Smiley

I understood this had to be done before a billing date or you have to wait for the next billing date.

Best wishes

Jez

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ah right! Must have overlooked that when I had the account open.

However this line now makes more sense to me:

@jezmjohn wrote:
I think one of you sorted it then but I was regisetered under another forum name and had nightmare password issues so set up a new name!

I thought I recognised the exchange name and other details when filling out the form that I had previously filled out last time for that one!

Either way, we'll get this sorted for you.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet