Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't remote desktop through VPN

FIXED
jackrichards
Hooked

Can't remote desktop through VPN

I cannot for the life of me remote desktop to my work computer! The VPN will connect with no issue whatsoever, but when I attempt to remote desktop (via either the microsoft client or CoRD), I will just receive a timed out error message.

I can connect perfectly fine via my mobile's internet, and on a friend's connection, it's just on my home plusnet connection I can't, which means i'm guessing it's a router issue? I'm using the plusnet one router, and have tried disabling both the router and account firewalls, both to no avail.

Can anyone help!?! 

Thanks,

Jack

17 REPLIES 17
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Can't remote desktop through VPN

Did you renew the ppp session (reboot the router) after turning off the firewall in plusnets Member Centre ?

Need to do that before the change takes affect.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I cannot for the life of me remote desktop to my work computer

Has it worked previously ? There's been some issues with some types of VPN and routing on the new network. See this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/VPN-fine-for-9-months-stopped-working-Jan/td-p/1301062/highl...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jackrichards
Hooked

tried that several times, no joy Sad

jackrichards
Hooked

A week ago I switched from talktalk to plusnet, so it's only been since I've been with plusnet that I've not been able to.

It's strange because the VPN seems fine, I get prompted for my password and then it will connect. It's just that the remote desktop client doesn't connect (no matter which one i use). As I said, it's fine when I tether on my phone or use any other connection. Would port forwarding do anything?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@MisterW wrote:

I cannot for the life of me remote desktop to my work computer

Has it worked previously ? There's been some issues with some types of VPN and routing on the new network. See this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/VPN-fine-for-9-months-stopped-working-Jan/td-p/1301062/highl...

Looking at the OP's IP address, I don't think that's the problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@bobpullen, Thanks for checking that.

@jackrichards, Are there any restrictions on IP addresses that you are allowed to usethe remote desktop from ? I'm thinking that some PN IP ranges are ( erroneously!) marked by some geolocation databases as non-UK.

I routinely use remote desktop over a VPN from my home PN connection so there is no general problem as such.

Can you do anything else (e.g file browsing ) ok over the VPN ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jackrichards
Hooked

My IT admin at work has told me they have no IP restrictions in place, I'm stumped! As for file browsing, I think I'm set up purely to remote desktop. Certainly nothing new shows up in finder once the VPN has connected.

The IT chap suggested that sometimes ISP’s restrict/throttle VPN traffic and this could be my problem, but if you successfully remote desktop over VPN with Plusnet then this can't be the case!

Is there any way I can pinpoint where the problem lies? 

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Do you have a different router you could try?
Which TT router have you got, that might work with PN.

jackrichards
Hooked

The only other router I have is the Huawei HG523 (Talktalk essentials router) from my previous talktalk connection, i didn't have fibre with talktalk though

Obs
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

What software do you use to establish the VPN?

Earlier this year we had problems with a Juniper networks VPN.  We could establish the VPN, but everything on it was slow or completely unable to establish a connection when the previous year it was fine.  Turns out I had turned on QoS on the router we used at the time and had not needed the VPN for awhile.  As soon as I turned this off, everything was fine.

jackrichards
Hooked

It's just going through the standard network settings built into in OSX 10.8, but like I said it works fine when I tether to my mobile which makes me think the problem must be elsewhere?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

My guess is that this isn't the problem BUT I'll ask just in case!. Do you know if your work use NAT with a private IP address range ( typically they do if a small business ) and if so what is it ? It's likely to be something like 192.168.x.0 .

jackrichards
Hooked

the ip that the remote desktop client uses is 192.168.1.81 if that's any help? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

Sorry, do you mean that the IP of the remote desktop is 192.168.1.81 ? i.e the address you connect to from your  rdp client. If that is correct then you have a problem! You will need to change the LAN subnet on your router to something other than the default 192.168.1.0. I suggest 192.168.5.0. I don' t have a hub One so hopefully someone who has one will advise how to change it. 

TBH your IT people are a bit short-sighted if they are using 192.168.1.0 as a local subnet when allowing VPN access . A lot of home routers will default to that subnet and therefore VPN access won' t work. They should be using a subnet well away from any home router defaults something like 192.168.42.0 is a good start!