cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't provide level of service charged for, do I not get a refund?

Linskin

Can't provide level of service charged for, do I not get a refund?

I was originally on Unlimited Fibre Extra, but after 2 BT engineer visits the best connection speed that they could get was c. 25Mbps.

Plusnet have now lowered my tariff to Unlimited Fibre, even though I'll never see anything like 38Mbps, but have not retrospectively adjusted the charge for the months already provided.  The guy who I spoke to on the phone who put me on the new, lower contract, was a bit shirty with me, and said he couldn't do the retrospective credit, I even think he used the phrase "do you want this other product or not!" - bad hair day?  I was then put on hold to speak to the technical support people (again) to discuss any credit for non-provision of service.  After waiting for 10 minutes or so I hung up thinking that I was not going to get any joy from technical support.

I believe it is only fair that I receive a credit for the period where you charged me for 76 Mbps (Guaranteed 35Mbps) yet, on average, delivered less than 15Mbps.

3 REPLIES 3
GhostDragon
Hooked

Re: Can't provide level of service charged for, do I not get a refund?

About 2 years ago we thought we would go with Fibre Extra, but like you, the truth of the matter was it is not available where we are.  I felt we were mislead to put it politely, and couldn't change back to what we had, which was actually just straight broadband, so opted for the straight fibre option.  That works ok.  We changed ours back fairly quickly, as we were watching the speeds, and frankly although we were told fibre extra would be the way to go, it just simply was not true.  Came to this year, and another drama, you have no idea, and fortunately we were finally able to work with two young ladies at Plus Net.  Excellent.  After having been through what we had, I am afraid that I would insist on talking to the female personnel who seem to have a much better grip on truthful reality!!!! And customer service.

I think you will probably find there is something which says about speeds in the contract, and you probably won't get anywhere.  Could go to the Ombudsman or small claims?

Linskin

It's not worth it, it was only 1 month, because, like you, I was monitoring it closely.  However, out of principle, I don't think they should be able to charge for a service they can't provide. If you order lobster but get crayfish, I think you should get a refund.

GhostDragon
Hooked

True, but I believe from what the first young man I spoke to this year when the debacle began, that it appears they get commission!! I think he was so busy focusing on that, and I was very specific about what I was doing, but he just didn't listen, he even spelt my name incorrectly, and I am always very careful to spell it out, as most people spell it in various different ways.  So I know I was very clear with him. 

We find the fibre ok, as my husband streams films, and before that we had ASDL? which wasn't "strong" enough, and we have stuck with that ever since.  

But understand how you feel, I could have "cried" with frustration!!!