Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't ping / tracert my static ip address

paulcarter
Hooked

Can't ping / tracert my static ip address

Hi,

I'm new to plus.net and have purchased a static ip address because I host a couple of small websites.

Unfortunately, although my broadband is working (and correctly configured with the right ip address, using DHCP on the router), when outside my network I can't reach it. 

The relevant parts of a tracert are:

5      3 ms 3 ms 3 ms ge-1-41.core-r-1.lon1.adaptplc.com [62.140.208.5]
6      4 ms 4 ms 3 ms te9-2.core-r-1.lon2.adaptplc.com [62.140.195.186]
7      3 ms 3 ms 4 ms te-9-1.core-l-1.lon2.adaptplc.com [62.140.218.201]
8      3 ms 3 ms 2 ms te-6-1.metro2.gls2.adapt.com [62.140.208.150]
9      5 ms 3 ms 3 ms linx-gw1.plus.net [195.66.224.164]
10    4 ms 3 ms 3 ms link3-central10.pcl-ag02.plus.net [84.93.249.37]

11     * * * Request timed out.
12     * * * Request timed out.

Any idea why this might be happening. It appears to be getting "lost" somewhere in the plus.net network.

There's been plenty of time for the address to propogate etc. (it's been at least 5 days since the ip address was configured)

thanks

Paul

24 REPLIES 24
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Can't ping / tracert my static ip address

If you are using The Plusnet supplied Hub One router, then external pings are disabled and cannot be turned on.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
paulcarter
Hooked

Ok, that explains why ping doesn't work (although - quite frankly - it's a bit rubbish that the router doesn't allow them to be turned on!).  Presuambly that's also why tracert doesn't work.

However, it doesn't explain why I can't access my websites or ssh or ftp into my network (all the relevant ports are open) - which is the real problem.  I assumed that an inability to ping was a symptom of the problem rather than a "feature".

Any idea on how I can diagnose the actual problem and get www/ssh/ftp/etc access working?

thanks

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have you set up port forwarding in the router?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You've forwarded the ports to the device on your internal network and that's turned on, listening for connection attempts?

What happens when you try to connect to the services? Does it time out/error?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I don't have a Hub One but you may want to check out your forwarding settings against this link on the gaming section by Plusnet staffer Darkfire.

Are they any messages in the log file when you attempt to access your websites?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
paulcarter
Hooked

Hi Browni, Chris

Thanks for your replies.  Yes, port forwarding is turned on for the specific ports.  (I'm thinking of turning off the firewall so that all ports are open tonight to see if that makes any difference.).  The plusnet router forwards ports to a single internal router, behind which sits the rest of the internal network, it in turn forwards traffic to the specific device(s).  All this worked perfectly with BT ADSL, the only thing that's changed is the plusnet router.

When I try to access a web page (for example) it times out - it is behaving exactly as though the traffic is never reaching my router - which is why tools like ping or tracert would be useful for diagnostics!

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can you try putting the BT router back on? If you update the connection details to your Plusnet ones it should work, be interested to see if this works.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paulcarter
Hooked

I would have tried that but I've moved to a FTTC connection which (I assume) it doesn't support.    It was a linksys adsl modem not the BT router, I got rid of that years ago, but pre-dates FTTC. 

paulcarter
Hooked

Thanks for the responses so far, given that there doesn't seem to be any obvious way forward should I be contacting PlusNet support?  If so, what's the best way to contact them without having to phone them?  I'm at work so can't easily spend time sat on the phone to a call centre.

thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

I wouldn't recommend contacting our support team as I don't think they'd have the knowledge to assist with this.

Hopefully someone else in the Community can help you out with this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I've get a Hub One with SSH and various other ports opened (e,g, minecraft server) and have no difficulty connecting to them from anywhere I've been worldwide.

have you set a reserved DHCP address for the devices in the router interface rather than setitng a true static ip? That seems to be a must to get port forwarding working properly.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
paulcarter
Hooked

dvorak - thanks I'll try checking tomorrow morning (which is the next time I'll be able to play with the router).

I think it's surprising that plusnet technical support can't support networking problems!  I thought plusnet was an internet service provider - how come they can't support problems with internet service provision?!

Just to be clear - I have no proof that this is not a problem with the plusnet network.  Supplying a router that is hard-wired to reject ping requests seems remarkably short-sighted as that surely makes it mucbh harder for plusnet to support their customers.  If ping was enabled I'd be able to very quickly prove or disprove whether this was a problem with the plusnet network or not.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

I think it's surprising that plusnet technical support can't support networking problems!  I thought plusnet was an internet service provider - how come they can't support problems with internet service provision?!

Plusnet are a cheap, mass-market ISP. Most of their customers wouldn't know what a port was let alone how (or why) they'd want to forward them. PN tech. support is built with that in mind. It's adequate for most people, most of the time but only has a relatively small number of expensive experts (a couple of which are regulars here).

If you want a technical support team where everyone is an expert and where anyone of them can help you configure your LAN equipment you're going to have pay more money.

Supplying a router that is hard-wired to reject ping requests seems remarkably short-sighted as that surely makes it mucbh harder for plusnet to support their customers. 

I'm not sure it makes that much difference to them. They will have access to their own routers and the information from BT's RADIUS servers. They don't need to ping you to know whether or not you are online. Their own systems will tell them more than a simple ping could anyway as they can probably see the hops that are hidden from us by PPP. I do agree however that it might result in more spurious calls to their support though when a customer like you tries to ping their connection and fails.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Would be nice if the Hub One could be configured for ping responses so TBB's broadband quality monitor could be used as another example.

Anyway I thought I would try the port forwarding myself to see if there was anything out of the ordinary in the setup but it just worked as expected.