cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get started

Miklav
Hooked

Can't get started

Hello, I'm new to Plusnet and have just started a contract for fibre. Previously I had standard broadband from Origin (not recommended!).

I received the confirmation emails saying I'm good to go but when I plug in the Hub One I can't get internet access and after initializing the front light just stays solid orange (no red "b"). After going through the usual basic tech support questions (both over the phone and online chat) I'm no further forward. So at this stage I have no internet and the issue has apparently been escalated (I have an open question/issue being tracked).

While not an IT expert, I'm reasonably tech savy. I tried plugging in my old router (works on ADSL and VDSL) and when it synchs to the exchange it shows that DSL modulation of ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS) and line speed of 10,359kpbs, even when I try to force VDSL. I was of the understanding that the modulation for my fibre line would be VDSL and the line speed somewhat higher. Can anyone confirm whether that's the case? I'm keen to try and move things along a bit in case there is an issue with the line (so far one tech support has tried sending out a new router which I imagine will take a few days).

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Can't get started

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly did you receive the emails today? If so it could be tomorrow before you are up and running. Plusnet put out their Emails on the day of the changeover, often before the work is done. Other considerations:

Unfortunately you have been in contact with a non technical support agent at Plusnet. If your old router is reporting an ITU G.992.5 connection then you're not on Plusnet fibre. Can you log into the old router with your old Origin password? If not it could well be that Origin have disconnected you and Openreach have yet to do the necessary with your line. Did you by any chance commit the cardinal sin of telling Origin that you were leaving them? If so what can happen is that the losing company will cancel your account on the day that you tell them you are leaving and if Openreach fails to do the changeover (it often happens) on the promised day then you are stuffed until they are next in your exchange.

I would get back onto Plusnet. With a bit of luck you may talk to a technically competent agent. Alternatively if you are lucky a Plusnet staffer will come along here and pick this up for you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Miklav
Hooked

Thanks for your comments.

Switch over was at 00:06 on Tuesday. So it's not been long, but it has been over a day.

My internet connection from Origin went down on Monday. I hadn't told them I was leaving, I just left it to Plusnet to deal with the changeover.

My worry is it's an exchange issue and I'll be at the mercy of Openreach's scheduling (and at the moment the weather)!
Baldrick1

In that case I'm afraid that you will have to contact Plusnet again and get a fault logged. I've never tried this link but it may help get things moving:  https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

Moderator and Customer

Miklav
Hooked

I've given the tool a go, though it refers to a BT router and the related lights rather than the Hub One. I suspect it's now just a waiting game. Fingers crossed!
Baldrick1

It's no good waiting unless you're sure that your fault has been logged.If you follow this link you should be able to see if there's any open tickets on your account. Unless it's reported here you need to contact Plusnet again. https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?_ga=2.46008100.1668517031.1519585330-1297471476.1519585330

Moderator and Customer

Miklav
Hooked

Thanks. There's actually 2 open questions there, it looks like the troubleshooter also set one up. I'll keep an eye on them.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear of the poor start you've had with us.
It looks like an engineer has rectified the problem at the cabinet a few hours ago.

How's your connection now? Everything working as you'd expect?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Miklav
Hooked

I'm pleased to say that an open reach engineer came out this morning and confirmed that the line from the exchange to my house had not been configured as a fibre line. He corrected the problem and my fibre is now working. Thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear it's working!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team