cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to my Static IP Address

mkhancock
Hooked

Can't connect to my Static IP Address

I have a static IP which I've had for some time, used to connect to my cctv at home, but it suddenly stopped me connecting from an external location (over the internet). I have run a trace route on my static IP address and once it gets to the plusnet server (gi15-0-0-442.ptn-ag04.plus.net) it times out. Any ideas?

16 REPLIES 16
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Can't connect to my Static IP Address

Is your internet connection still working at home ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mkhancock
Hooked

Hi, Yes, everything else working fine. Using a Draytek router configured with the static IP.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Is it configured to respond to icmp requests on the wan? If not , that could explain the trace route failure.

Failure to access the CCTV sounds like a losa of port forwarding 

Edit , just noticed that Using a Draytek router configured with the static 

You should still be configuring the router to get the ip from the isp. Plusnet will just ensure that you get the same static ip all the time

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mkhancock
Hooked

Not sure about icmp (never come across that) so will take a look.  The port forwarding is set up, and I only set the static IP on the Draytek an hour ago to try it - prior to that it was configured as DHCP but always picked up the same IP from Plusnet, as you describe.

Was working fine up to a few months ago......very strange.  I'm thinking that something might have changed on the plusnet server?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

On my draytek 2830 the icmp setting is in isystem maintenance>management .in the internet access control section,  you should have disable ping from the internet' unchecked

Might be worth logging inntonthe member centre andvchecking that your broadband firewall is still off

mkhancock
Hooked

Unchecked "disable ping" and was then able to traceroute OK. Have obviously rechecked that setting for security.  Have also checked the member centre and verified that the firewall is OFF.  NAT settings look fine. Confused...........

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

At least we've found half the problem!

Is there anything in the draytek log to indicate that the incoming connection is being blocked?

I assume the CCTV camera is working and accessible from the local network ?

happybunny
Grafter

I have a Draytek 2860 with a static IP and all is working for me at the moment.

I did have an issue with the plusnet firewall when connecting VPN clients as I expected "OFF" to mean off, but I ended up having to change it to "LOW" to enable clients to connect.

Can you access the router admin page remotely?

mkhancock
Hooked

Haven't found the log - will take a look.  CCTV connects fine from the LAN.

mkhancock
Hooked

Hi, haven't tried accessing the router admin remotely. Might just try switching the firewall to LOW, see what happens!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@happybunny  OFF does mean off. Both off and low will allow vpn connections. Is it possible that you didnt disconnect/reconnect after changing to off but did when changing to low ? A firewall setting will only take effect when you reconnect the pppoe session.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@mkhancock  diagnostics>syslog explorer

mkhancock
Hooked

@MisterW @happybunny Thanks for your help. In the end I found 2 embarrassing problems:

(1) My DVR had been repaired and the IP set back to DHCP, so the IP address had changed.

(2) I added a port forward to the new IP (after converting to static) instead of changing the existing port forward. So 2 port forwards from same public port confused the router. Deleted one of the port forwards and bang, straight in.

Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees............

Thanks again.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@mkhancock  no problem, we've all been there!