cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Euro car parts website via PlusNet broadband

jamesh1

Can't access Euro car parts website via PlusNet broadband

Hi I have been trying to access www.eurocarparts.com for the past couple of days via my PlusNet broadband with no success.

I can search for it in google but once I click on the website link it waits for a while and then returns "This site cannot be reached www.eurocarparts.com took too long to respond". I have used a number of different devices connected to my router but all with the same effect.

Using Ping I get 

Pinging www.eurocarparts.com [194.74.180.83] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

So clearly the DNS is working.

Using tracert I get

Tracing route to www.eurocarparts.com [194.74.180.83]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 5 ms 5 ms PNHUB1 [172.22.44.1]
2 7 ms 6 ms 7 ms 172.16.15.106
3 * 14 ms 13 ms 129.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.129]
4 12 ms 14 ms 14 ms 128.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.128]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.

So clearly the request is passing through my router out to PlusNet arriving at two different servers within PlusNet and then getting stuck.

I believe this is a PlusNet issue as if I use my mobile over EE 4G I can access the www.eurocarparts.com website but not when connected through WiFi to my router !

I have tried clearing the browsing cache on each of the devices, restarting the router and even leaving it off for a few minutes so it gets a new external facing IP, all suggestions found on this community for someone with a similar issue of no access to a specific website, but still to no avail. I really need to access this website on a larger screen than my mobile to look at the details of the parts I am looking to order.

Any suggestions gratefully received

14 REPLIES 14
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Can't access Euro car parts website via PlusNet broadband

@jamesh1 See my reply in the Tech help board. Also please note cross-posting is against forum rules.

John
jamesh1

Thank you for your prompt response.

I did try a search of the forums before posting but didn't find the question, which you had answered in the Tech Forum.

With regard to cross-posting assuming someone new to the community would know what this means may be unfair.

I am not the same person as RichV who posted the query in Tech so this was not a cross-posting anyway.

I am sorry if I posted my query in the wrong forum but as a newbie to the forums I thought this was the logical place to post the issue as the Fibre Broadband Forum comes high up the list of different forums I didn't even notice the Tech one lower down.

James

jab1
Legend

My sincere apologies, @jamesh1  - I didn't notice the user - just noticed exactly the same question one after the other on two different boards.

Sorry if you took offence, but it is assumed that people read the rules before posting, although I know many don't.

You will get used to the forum, and where to post.

John
jamesh1

No Problem

I appreciate people willing to help

I have just checked my external IP, using whatismyip.com, and it shows as being in Deal Eng UK and ISP British Telecom PLC (presumably being used by PlusNet)

Would this still be the same issue you referred to in the other post?

James

jab1
Legend

@jamesh1 It is the same issue entirely - can you post the first three blocks of your IP and I'll check yours anthe other posters at the same time. May be a while before I get back to you though - on a phone call ATM.

John
jamesh1

Thank you

First 3 octets of my public IP are

James

jab1
Legend

@jamesh1 Don't know why you have a problem - I have checked using 5 location databases and they all report BT/PN as the holder, location UK.

If you can, try changing your IP by turning the router off all night. Can't guarantee it will work, due to the PN 'local pool' policy, but it might, If not come back and tell us.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@jamesh1 

If you don't want to leave your hub off to try to pick uo a diffrernt IP address then download a free VPN such as Windscribe (https://windscribe.com/features/use-for-free) and set the destination to UK.

The problem is that there is a word shortage of IPv4 addresses and some get moved around the world. Unfortunately many DNS databases fail to keep their records up to date.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Clicked on the link

www.eurocarparts.com

embedded in your post, accessed the site  no issues.

However 

PING www.eurocarparts.com (194.74.180.83): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

This suggest that the server  www.eurocarparts.com does not respond to Pings (icmp) which is perfectly acceptable.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

I hesitate to join in as I don't need the company's products, but I'm currently getting timeout on that site (both http & https options) using Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, and Edge. Mine is an 80.189 address but I question if that is relevant give that the OP is on a different range.

https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ says that the site is up. .

jab1
Legend

@BrightonRock Weird, because I have no problems accessing the site yesterday or today (going via Google) but as  @idonno said on the other thread on this subject, there is something strange about the configuration of the site which is causing problems for some users.

I seem to remember this cropping up sometime last year as well, but I'm not spending too much time on it - I have other things to do for me.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

All I can say is that the link works for me on both Firefox and Safari, no search engine needed. Have you tried a different DNS server in case it’s the Plusnet defaults causing the issue? I use OpenDNS.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

just to round this off - it's fun, but there are other things to do - the website now comes up instantly for me! Same IP address, browser, etc. as earlier this morning when it timed out.

I too don't know what is going on but my money would be on an iffy server or duff connectivity at their end rather than anything wrong in the Plusnet world.

jab1
Legend

@BrightonRock See the discoveries made on the topic on the same subject in 'Tech Help' - whoever set this site up for them has made a pigs ear of it.😁

John