cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone please recommend a router to me?

sevanseta

Can someone please recommend a router to me?

Hi,
I bought a TP-Link WR841N Wireless router for about £20 thinking that it would do the job for my 38mb fibre connection, but the wireless signal is awful - 10x worse than my BT Hub. If I go upstairs, 10 metres away from the router and close the door the signal deteriorates to the point where the broadband becomes unusable. However, it works great when the ethernet is plugged in or if I am 1 metre away with wireless. I've never had a problem with previous wireless routers when I was with BT.
Has anyone had a bad experience with this router?  I was wondering if anyone could recommend a router to me for less than £40?  I don't need anything fancy, just a good wireless signal that can give me full speed.
Many thanks in advance,
5 REPLIES 5
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Can someone please recommend a router to me?

Which BT Hub?  If you still have it, you should be able to use that.  see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135840.0.html
sevanseta

Quote from: sjptd
Which BT Hub?  If you still have it, you should be able to use that.  see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135840.0.html

Thanks for your reply.  I have BT Home Hub 3.  Do you know if this is capable of receiving full speed on a 38 mb fibre connection? Thanks.
TimStephenson
Grafter

They're not the cheapest, but I'd recommend an Asus DSL-AC68U. It's a one-box router with built-in VDSL modem, so no need for a separate Openreach modem.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-DSL-AC68U-Dual-Band-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00O27PHGY
Solid, reliable performance and fantastic wifi range on both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands.
(Ignore any reviews / forum posts from 6-8 months back around dropping FTTC connections; those issues have been sorted out a long time back with firmware updates and the current versions are rock-solid).
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

My Billion 8800NL works fine and my neighbour across the road can pick up the signal with a 2 bar strength (I set up a guest network when his internet went down)
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I have Just set up my new Asus DSL AC68u .... Sooo easy and cured a few problems i was having Glad i spent the money  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .