cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain what are and what causes Live to Live (L2L) delays

ceemjay
Hooked

Can someone explain what are and what causes Live to Live (L2L) delays

In our village 3 new FTTC cabinets were installed - Cab 1 close to the existing copper PCP  that feeds everyone and Cab 8 & 9 in more distant parts of the parish.

Cab 1 went live in January and some people got fibre broadband (including me!!) however the fibre to the other two took a few months longer to install so it was in April that the engineer made the final connections .

Now we are in the position that anyone connected to Cabs 8 & 9 are being told that they still cannot get fibre broadband because of a Live-to-Live (L2L) issue. I have seen a couple of explanations of what L2L means but they dont make sense.

Many people have been sold fibre broadband and now told they cant have it until this situation is resolved leading to lots of frustration.

This is the fullest explanation I can find - http://www.onlincolnshire.org/news/local-broadband-news/delays-to-broadband-upgrades-around-the-coun... - but leaves unanswered questions eg

How did Cab 1 go live without this issue?

If no one is connected to VDSL on the new cabs how can it be "live"?

If a customer orders an ADSL-VDSL upgrade isn't the permission to change implicit?

If a customer is changing providers does that get round this problem?

And many others I am sure.

Please can some explain - fully - what L2L means and why there is this delay?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Can someone explain what are and what causes Live to Live (L2L) delays

Hi there.

A live to live migration is essentially where a phone line/fibre connection is routed from one cabinet to another.

Now we are in the position that anyone connected to Cabs 8 & 9 are being told that they still cannot get fibre broadband because of a Live-to-Live (L2L) issue. 

This could be down to various reasons, it'd be difficult to advise what but from what I can see checking Here Openreach are doing final quality checks on the cabinet 8 and expect it to be ready within a month.

If you or your neighbours want more info I'd recommend raising a formwize with Openreach Here to query this with them directly. I hope this helps out a bit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ceemjay
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf

Still not making much sense to me.

Reducing it to two scenarios:

1 The copper has been connected inside Cab 8 in which case connecting a user to VDSL is no different from what happened to me (or any other user where the FTTC is next to the PCP) and I didn't incur L2L delays

2 The copper has not been connected inside cab 8 - in which case does Openreach really need approval to remake a pair of connections? Is this significantly different from changing a user from ADSL to VDSL?

Thanks for those links. I am aware of the first checker link having used it since Cab 1 was installed over a year ago. Since Cab 8 was fully cabled - copper and fibre back in  April - residents have been battering Openreach for weeks now so dont expect that form is going to be much help - this needs escalating!

As far as have been told from Openreach via our Borough Council is that the present situation is all about L2L not checking kit.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Unfortunately there's not much more we can advise as we don't know what the issue could be.

The best chance you'll have I think would be to raise this to the Openreach fibre availability enquiries team via the formwize.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ceemjay  As Gandalf has said …"A live to live migration is essentially where a phone line/fibre connection is routed from one cabinet to another."

It sounds so simple doesn't it, but I can assure you it is extremely difficult to organise. In your situation Cab 1 went live first so L2L does not apply to that cab, there are now a number of FTTC connections on that cab, including yours. The other Cabs are fully installed and ready to go, the difficulty is some or all of the FTTC connections on cab 1 will be moving to the other cabs and this involves changes to the connections at all the cabs and at the head end exchange because the ones that get moved will be connected via a different fibre link. To complicate this various internet providers will be involved and their circuit configurations will need updating and all these changes need to arranged to happen over a single day or so. To get all parties to agree to this can cause some delay which is what appears to be the problem. Until all the existing FTTC connections have been sorted out the new cabinets will not show any availability for new customers, Hope this helps.Smiley