cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone at Plusnet look at my connection please? (Speed terrible and disconnections)

FIXED
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Can someone at Plusnet look at my connection please? (Speed terrible and disconnections)

Can someone at Plusnet look at my connection please? I now have  terrible speed and disconnections after a year of really good speeds.I do use Wifi, but I was when I first switched to fibre, the speed then was 30Mb+, it's now bouncing between 1Mb and 16Mb - generally under 10Mb.

When we first switched to fibre our current line speed was in the 30's, but now it has dropped to 21Mb - we never get anywhere near that.

Also, I have the 2 part router/modem combination - should I be using microfilters, as the various help articles keep saying yes but I was told when I switched to fibre that I shouldn't.

We have noticed a cabinet in the street that has been 'lifted' - possibly by prospective copper thieves, could this be the cause?

I will be carrying out checks connected directly to the first box (we don't have one with an engineers socket) but until then find attached OOkla speed test results.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=c52abbd0a10b5f84217d0ddbf10bf3ab&ria=0

10 REPLIES 10
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Can someone at Plusnet look at my connection please? (Speed terrible and disconnections)

Hello @rogadodge

I've tested your broadband and unable to find a fault as per the below stats:

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 54.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps

The connection to the router is also pretty stable:

image14811006177196

As for your current line speed of 21 Mbps, your service is provisioned on 55/10 on our new dedicated network so the line speed/connection profile on our side has no bearing on your throughput.

I wouldn't suggest moving your modem/router because where it is, things are looking good. Have you tried a wired connection?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Re: Can someone at Plusnet look at my connection please? (Speed terrible and disconnections)

Ok thanks will look at the Wifi, powerline adapters (which are only used for TV) and try a wired connection.

Should I be using microfilters?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

No problem. If you don't have a prefiltered faceplate i.e. two holes on the front of your phone socket, then yep you would need a microfilter.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

My faceplate has teo sockets, one for phone and one for internet. However, it is definitely the Wifi that is the problem.  Connected by wire I get 50Mbps D/L speed. Unfortunately a wired connection is not possible or practicable in this case.

Using a powerline adapter I get @ 40Mbps, but that is going through 2 extensions (one at each end) so that's acceptable.

I've downloaded   Wifi analyser onto my phone and it tells me that there are 5 other Wifi's using channel 1, and that channel 1 is rated as worst channel for performance, so going to try changing channel to see if that helps  ( if I can work out how to do it that is).

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Definitely Wifi. Changed channel to an unused one - that helped slightly. But worked out what the problem is. - My wife!!

She's moved the furniture and now I am sitting round a corner with 2 walls between myself and the router. If I sit at the dining table (where the sofa used to be) I get 40Mbps - step round the corner to where the sofa is now and 1-2Mbps.

It raises another question now, which i am going to ask on another post too...I have the 2 part router combination as supplied by PN.  could I connect the first part ( the BT box) to the powerilne adapter, then the second router to the second powerline adapter in the room with me?  Would this work - using the powerline adapter to 'stretch' the connection between the two boxes?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Ha ha, happy to hear you've figured out the problem.

As for your other question, in theory I imagine so. I couldn't guarantee it, but it's worth a try.

As long as the powerline adapter is plugged into the LAN1 port of the Openreach Modem, and the other powerline is plugged into the Eth4 port of the router.

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

thanks, will try tonight. If it works will report back - it may be of some use to someone else further down the line.

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Right, swapped the router about, as per my preCheesyvious post and BINGO!! 30Mbps+. It is possible to connect the two routers (BT fibre and PN Wifi) by powerline adapter. Cheesy

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fantastic news, I've learnt something new today this evening. Thumbs_Up

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Fix

I've posted this in the Fibre Forum, in the hope it will help someone else out. Smiley6600