cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can powerline adapter affect modem speeds

BST
Grafter

Can powerline adapter affect modem speeds

Hi, would powerlines affect my modem sync speeds at all.

I have seen my speeds go from 68 last year to 45 and downstream from 17 to 11 - 12.

I did raise a fault after speaking to someone who said he could see a potential issue and i had a reply saying there had been a fault with my broadband service that would be raised to the supplier.

A week later I had another reply asking me do do a fault diagnosis "If the test is classed by the speed tester as failing,"however it never did show as failing again and now the question has closed after no reply for 14 days.

They are Devolo passthrough powerline adaptors and the modem and router were powered by an extention lead that was powered from the powerline adaptor. I have now disconnected my powerline adapters to see if that will help speeds at all.

4 REPLIES 4
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Can powerline adapter affect modem speeds

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Empty post removed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Haybasha
Rising Star

I've seen powerline adaptors drop the SNR which could I guess drop your speed if the modem resyncs whist they are in use as your SNR will go back to the target of 6dB, the result of which will be a drop in sync speed.

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I had powerline adapters that injected huge numbers of errors on the line. The SNRM didn't change if I remember correctly however the errors caused the interleaving depth to go very high and the overall speed to be reduced. The ping times also increased significantly.

I haven't used powerline adapters for some time and my connection has been solid with fastpath on the upstream and only an interleaving depth of 8 on the downstream.

I have, however, recently installed powerline adapters again but this time have changed to a different brand. So far so good but early days. I have read that a lot of people use powerline adapters with no issues so maybe it depends on brand. I suspect it also depends on topology of your mains wiring and how close it runs to the phoneline etc. My new adapters are in exactly the same location as the old ones so if they don't cause issues, it will the different brand that helped. 

BST
Grafter

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I guess i will leave them off for now then and see if things improve.