cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not access a particular site

Marubozu

Can not access a particular site

Hello all,
Since having fibre installed a few weeks ago, my partner has been unable to access a particular site which is a real pain as it's her online banking account.
It was fine with our old provider (Sky), and when she's out the house (eg at a friend's) it's fine. She was also able to access it in the bank's branch. We've tried on my computer, her tablet and even her mobile phone but none will work. As a test I tried using her tablet from our home but connecting it via a mobile signal and it worked so it's definitely something to do with plusnet's connection/setup.
I can't even access the bank's main website: rbs.co.uk. If I go to the personal banking section: http://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/ways-to-bank-with-us/online-banking.html, it won't let me get into the login section.
Has anyone got any suggestions please, it's understandably driving her mad now.
Many thanks
Marubozu
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Can not access a particular site

welcome to the forums Marubozu
i've been successful in getting to the login page on my PlusNet connection with no problem, so I'm guess it's localised to your setup perhaps or maybe something with the PN DNS.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Doesn't particularly help, but your link is fine for me.
I'm assuming that using your mobile phone over 3G is OK and it's just wifi that is affected?  
When you say browsing to www.rbs.co.uk "doesn't work", what errors do you get?
What does www.rbs.co.uk resolve to?  (Open up a command window and type 'nslookup www.rbs.co.uk')
Have you got any parental control filtering setup on the router?
What router are you using?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

checked the PN DNS and it resolves to the same as Google and OpenDNS and is working fine
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
sjptd
Grafter

Have you tried a different browser?
Sometimes your standard browser will not work and others will.  This is often not the fault of the browser but of some extension: people don't generally bother to install extensions on the browsers they don't often use.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Could you try logging in to your router and disconnect/reconnect? I'm hoping it's not the IP address you've been assigned causing the issue but it's worth ruling out early on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Marubozu

Hi Guys,
Thx for your quick responses. Sounds like it's something specific to my set-up  Sad
When I try to access rbs.co.uk, this is what I get (in attachment). Same thing with the personal rbs page.
Hi pwatson, connecting on the phone with the mobile provider works ok but through plusnet with wifi doesn't. Neither does her laptop or tablet or my pc with an ethernet connection so it's any device connecting to plusnet here.
nslookup gives me this:
Server: dsldevice.lan
Address: fe80::3291:8fff:fe2f:2ce0
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.rbs.co.uk
Address: 155.136.80.222
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Did you change your ip as suggested by Chris ?
Marubozu

Quote from: Chris
Could you try logging in to your router and disconnect/reconnect? I'm hoping it's not the IP address you've been assigned causing the issue but it's worth ruling out early on.

Hi Chris, just disconnected and reconnected. Works fine now thx. What was the problem then?
Thanks v much for your help.  Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll go make a note to flag that IP range next week. Some of the IP addresses used were previously located outside of the UK, so some geographic dependent sites wouldn't allow them to work. The vast majority are resolved but we still see some popping up.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Marubozu

Ok, I understand. Thanks for your help Chris. Happy new year to you all.