cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone prove that I'm getting the right broadband speed?

FIXED
Crawfy99
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Can anyone prove that I'm getting the right broadband speed?

Hi

I've been a PlusNet customer for over a year now and have doubts about the speed I'm getting on my broadband.  I'm signed up to the Unlimited Fibre Extra package and my router says that my connection speed is 59.93 Mbps but the experience I get just doesn't match up!  I am acutely aware that there are numerous variables that will affect this figure (electrical items affecting the wireless signal, proximity to other wifi networks, distance from router, number of devices connected, etc, etc) but I have never experienced anything close to the download speed that the router suggests I should be getting.  

As I type this, I am about 2m from the router, connected via wifi but in a detached house with no other interfering signal.  I'm downloading a big file and the download speed I'm getting is about 2.3MB/s (approx 18mbps).  A BT Wholesale speed test puts it at 6.4Mbps download and 2.55Mbps upload!

Am I missing something?Huh

Andy

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Can anyone prove that I'm getting the right broadband speed?

The key to your problems is probably the fact that you are using wireless. What speed do you get from a wired Ethernet connection?

With wireless you should separate the 2.4 abd 5GHz bands, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 then try each band to find the best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Crawfy99
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Fix
I managed to speak to support who suggested that I reset the router back to factory defaults. I backed it up, reset and then restored and the same file is now downloading at 6.3MB/s - result!
It’s still only bordering on the minimum guaranteed speed but I’m happy for now.
Interestingly, the support technician suggest I should reset the router once a month. This seems an odd thing to have to do!
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

BT HomeHubs do this themselves every couple of weeks. They do it at about 2am

It shouldn't be necessary if all the code is bug free, well behaved and working well, but it does clear out stale cache's , recovers any memory lost through leaks, and tidies up queues and buffer chains.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Crawfy99,

I've just tested your line and I'm seeing you're connected at 59.9Mbps.

If you're having slow connections, the first thing I'd recommend is trying with an Ethernet cable and check your hard wired speeds.

If the problem seems to be wireless, and based on what you're saying it's possible.

Firstly, have a look at the troubleshooting guide HERE
Things like where your router is situated in your home can also play a massive part in how good your reception is. If your router is near other electrical equipment for example. (It doesn't matter how close you sit to the router. You could be picking up a bad signal).

I like to think of your router as a radio tower and your devices are listening to the broadcast. If there's anything in your area generating interference, no matter how close you are to the router or how many bars of signal you may have, you could be picking up a noisy reception.
No matter how loud you turn up the volume, a crackly frequency will still be crackly.

Further to the above troubleshooting its worth:

• Changing the wireless channels. 1,6 and 11 are suggested but not always the best. From personal, albeit frustrating experience, the best channel for myself at present is 8. I'd recommend giving all of them a go.

• Split off your Frequencies. More information on de-syncing the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connection frequencies can be found HERE.

• Finally, disable everything on your wireless network, even devices that are connected but not using the internet currently and trying one device at a time. A network is only as strong as its weakest link in the chain. If one device is having trouble or causing interference, there can be a domino effect onto all the other devices on your network. If one device is working well, then begin introducing others one by one.

I hope this information helps, but please feel free to get back to us and let us know how you get on.