cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone explain what this actually means?

JHunter
Dabbler

Can anyone explain what this actually means?

This is the latest update from a ticket which is currently open on my account. The broadband connection has been down for seven days and for weeks before that the speed dropped off steadily, getting to about 42Mb (supposed to be on the 80/20 system).

"Unfortunately the attempt to migrate this circuit onto an alternative vlan was not successful. However our Capacity Management team have bulk moved over 50 circuits off this vlan to cool it. Our next review date is Friday, 16/09/16"

Now obviously I understand that they (Openreach) tried to do something earlier this week but that it didn't work. What I don't get is why it needs to 'cool off'. My understanding of networks is not at all good but 'cool off' seems a peculiar term - the network either has capacity or it does not. What are the chances of them being able to make changes in the next 24hrs that get my connection re-established?

2 REPLIES 2
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Can anyone explain what this actually means?

Depends if moving the other 50 people solves he problem or not circuits can over heat ie to much running on them so cool off simply means to ease the traffic over the vlan. I doubt this will be solved in 24 hrs most likely observed over 24 hrs than to see what they want to do next

JHunter
Dabbler

Re: Can anyone explain what this actually means?

Thanks, that's informative.