cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Plusnet supply over new high speed fibre?

FIXED
Almanton
Fixes: 1

Can Plusnet supply over new high speed fibre?

A leaflet through my door says ‘Gigaclear Ultrafast Broadband will soon be available in your community! … Delivery from Complete Utilities of a connection point in the public highway, outside your boundary, is free of charge. If you wish to later connect to the Gigaclear broadband service, please visit www.gigaclear.com for all installation fees and subscription rates”. That website lists 8 residential service providers, but not Plusnet. What is going on, please? I had not intended leaving Plusnet, but simply want a faster infrastructure.

7 REPLIES 7
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Can Plusnet supply over new high speed fibre?

Hi Almanton,

PN are not listed as a "retail service provider" on the Gigaclear website.

https://www.gigaclear.com/retailserviceproviders/

As PN are owned by BT, I doubt that BT would let PN buy services from competing wholesale providers.

When BT took over PN, PN ceased to use Tiscali as a wholesale provider.

Regards

Richard

Almanton

Thank you, Richard. It seems that I have no say in this! I did not choose Gigaclear as the fast fibre contractor, and now I cannot stay with Plusnet if I want better broadband speed. And I thought Plusnet wanted my custom! Would Plusnet help by refunding the balance of my prepaid rental money, if I have to leave, do you think? 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Plusnet want your custom in terms of supplying you with the services that is in their product portfolio. If you choose to break your contract to move to a newer shinier product supplied by others then my guess is that your going to have to take the hit. You could of course see if you could do a deal whereby you kept your telephone with Plusnet or of course be patient until the contract runs out.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking about leaving us.

Unfortunately if you choose to end your agreement with us within an agreed contract term there will be an early termination charge and any line rental saver would be non-refundable.

From checking the records of your line I can see we can provide you with fibre though the estimated speeds would be between 5.2mbps and 10.3mbps.

It's likely relatively low because of your line length from the cabinet.

With that said it should still be a step up from the circa. 2.2mbps you're getting at the moment.

If you would like to go ahead I'd recommend contacting our customer options team on 0800 013 2632.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Almanton

Thank you Gandalf. As I said in my opening post, I had not intended leaving Plusnet: I simply want a faster infrastructure. It is plain in your post that you do understand my wanting to have more than 2.2mbps as soon as I can get it. I will talk to the customer options team about Plusnet-supplied fibre, which I did not know is available here. Watch this space!

Almanton

Fix

Hello again, Gandalf! After talking to your customer support people (through 0800 432 0200, by the way, the number you gave being out of use now), I will be moving to Plusnet Fibre later this month, with “estimated broadband speed between 5mbps and 10mbps and minimum guaranteed access line speed 3.6mbps”. That’s better than the present 2.2mbps! Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi again @Almanton I'm glad to hear you've upgraded to fibre, relatively speaking it should be a big jump from 2.2mbps indeed.

Thanks for flagging the support number to us, I realised after my post and it's since been fixed so 0800 013 2632 works as normal again.

Let us know how your upgrade goes, I've checked your order and it's due to complete on the 22nd June.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet