cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Plusnet PLEASE Save Me from Covid-19 Risk?

FIXED
Red_devil
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Can Plusnet PLEASE Save Me from Covid-19 Risk?

For over a week now our upload speed has been stuck at around 0.7 Mbps.

The diwnload speed (c21) is only about 40% of what it was but we can live with that.

My OH is trying to work from home (for obvious reasons) but the lousy upstream rate is making this nigh on impossible.

Being in a vulnerable group myself the last thing I want is for her to have to go into the office but she is being pressurised to do that due to lack of viability of homeworking with this problem.

This would massively increase my chance of contracting the virus if it had to happen.

Nothing has changed at this end and I've tried unplugging everything except 1 PC with no increase seen.

The router stats for max data rate have varied from 25/70 (up/down)to current 3/42 during this time.but actual figures have maxed at 38 down and 0.7 up which just isn't viable for home working.

I raised this as a fault a week ago but have heard nothing since.

Help please!

9 REPLIES 9
WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Re: Can Plusnet PLEASE Save Me from Covid-19 Risk?

Hi @Red_devil, I've tested the line and there looks to be a potential issue on the network. I've sent you an email with some further checks, if you can run through those (if you haven't already) and get back to us there that would be appreciated.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
Red_devil
Grafter

Hi @WillF  thanks for the reply.

Had done most of tests already (including router swop).

Did the test socket one for completeness but made no difference as it logically couldn't as our extension cabling goes out before the router/master socket from a box on the wall outside that Openreach (well probably BT then) installed when we had a 2nd line put in many years ago. That line was ceased some time ago (years).

Been working fine like this for ages but I guess something may have happened within the box.

Have updated fault to say any time is OK for Openreach engineer to come as long as we get a notification.

Thanks for your help

Red_devil
Grafter

Hi @WillF  - thought I'd mention here that this definitely hasn't been solved by the engineers visit. Connection is still dropping regularly and upload speed is still mostly below 3 when tested (though router ofetn says its connection speed is higher). Router has been plugged into test socket since engineer's visit so extension wiring is out of the picture (my previous assumption re the extension wiring going off before the master socket turned out to be incorrect).

I have ordered a VDSL faceplate (which shouldn't logically make any difference) and a cat5 router-to-socket cable (which might) so I'll report back when they've been fitted but the number of disconnections and slow upload speed still means that OH is under pressure to go into office and put me at increased risk.

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @Red_devil, I've looked over the notes from the previous engineer and re-tested the line. It's still pointing towards a possible fault still on the line, so I've updated the fault ticket we have open. Feel free to get back to me there.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
Red_devil
Grafter

Hi @WillF , thanks for the swift reply.

Have updated the fault withour availability (basicallyany time).

It's interesting that before the previous engineer visit you thought he might not need to come to the house - going only to the cabinet or exchange - whilst in fact he came only to the house. The wiring he did then is now theoretically completely isolated so I guess the fault lies elsewhere.

Regards

ML

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@Red_devil Hi there! I've updated the question on your account with an appointment, stay safe Smiley

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Red_devil
Grafter

Thanks @tinytaco . The fault doesn't sya whether the appointment is for morning or afternoon.

Either is OK but I'd like to know as last time the engineer arrived before 8 a.m. so I'd need to get up pretty promptly if it's a morning appointment!

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@Red_devil I am sorry, please forgive me I must have had a dim moment! Shocked I've updated it for you now, as the suppliers have just updated us:

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=201384197

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Red_devil
Grafter

Fix

@tinytaco  - although the post to which you've linked says engineer no longer coming to house he did actually turn up just after 8 a.m.

The good news is that he appears to have found and fixed the problem which was across the road in the cabinet (or perhaps betwen the old and new cabinets).

Connection has been rock solid since his visit and pressure is now off for SWMBO to go into office so I can breathe more easily (as it were).