Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my own router?

mariotr87
Dabbler

Can I use my own router?

Hi,
I'm aware of the fact that you can always disable routing features via telnet on the plusnet device, but given that we also need BT's VDSL modem, this would add up to 3 devices for a "simple" home broadband access.
Would it be possible to not use the plusnet modem at all, and connect my own wireless router to the BT one?
The answer is probably no, but I wanted to double check just in case...
Mario.
8 REPLIES 8
rodtrotter
Grafter

Re: Can I use my own router?

yes you can use your own router with no problems
avatastic
Grafter

You can use anything that can connect over PPPoE (which is what the OpenReach modem presents to the Plusnet supplied router).
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You can even use a combo router/modem if you buy one, but you will need to keep the BT modem if a fault has to be reported as BT won't accept 3rd party combo fibre modem/routers during a fault visit and blame your equipment
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
mariotr87
Dabbler

Thanks everyone!
I just tried my airport extreme and it worked indeed! That's great news, it's a lot better than having to enable bridge mode via telnet Smiley
Cheers,
Mario.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Wow - that airport is a VERY expensive router.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

but it's got an apple logo on it, thus the price is justified by those of a certain type.
mariotr87
Dabbler

It's expensive indeed, but I didn't really buy it for its routing capabilities, but rather for storage and backups (it's got a 2TB HDD builtin). It obviously also makes an excellent wifi ac router.
It's also very Apple friendly in terms of interacting with other devices. For instance it can wake up a sleeping mac when attempting a connection to your mac at home from the outside.
Anyway, if you have a couple of Apple devices and you are going to use all of its features the price is more than justified. As a standalone router it makes no sense.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Ah - ok
Built in NAS drive does make it better VFM.