cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my Plusnet Hub One as a secondary wifi hotspot?

RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Can I use my Plusnet Hub One as a secondary wifi hotspot?

Hi

Here's what I want to do....

I'm getting FTTC broadband tomorrow and plan to use my own TP-LINK VR900 WiFi Router. Meantime the rest of my home is connected to the net  from this router using DEVOLO powerline passthrough plugs which I will feed to them from the TP-LINK. 

What I want to do is use the superfluous Plusnet Hub One I was sent as a second WiFi hotspot at the other end of the house, feeding the connection over powerline and then using the Hub One to create the second home WiFi hotspot.

Q. Is this doable?Huh

Cheers

Ralph

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Re: Can I use my Plusnet Hub One as a secondary wifi hotspot?

I 'think' I've answered this question... at least in theory....

I found this article and it suggests this is all quite workable. I'm goign to give it a go and I'll do a quick How To on what was needed to make it tick... assuming it does that is!

Sources of inspiration:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/network-wifi/how-set-up-router-as-repeater-summary-3633135/

http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Yes you can.

Simply log into the Hub One, at 192.168.1.254, go into to Advanced Settings.  

Find the page for the IP and DHCP settings.

Turn off the 'DHCP server' and save the settings.

Now wire any of the 4 yellow LAN ports to your powerline adapter.

You don't need to worry about changing the IP address of the Hub One.

Your VR900 uses default LAN IP 192.168.1.1 and the Hub One default is 192.168.1.254, so there is no conflict.

You may wish to review the wifi settings. The Hub One uses same wireless SSID name by default on both 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands.  If you go to Advanced Settings, under the 5 GHz Wireless tab, you can specify a different name for the 5 GHz wifi.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
RalphAverbuch
Dabbler

Cheers Bill

Appreciate the insight.

I had spotted the IP conflict. My entire home network is set up off the IP configuration I set up years back with my Netgear routers. That was based off 192.168.0.1 internally and so I adjusted the TP-LINK when I got it to mirror what my older Netgears were using. I'm reckoning on giving the plusnet hub a fixed IP 192.168.0.XX and I can then use the parental controls in the TP-LINK to enable/disable that second WiFi based on time, etc.

Cheers

Ralph