cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a Draytek Vigor 2820 broadband router on fibre broadband?

Snubber

Can I use a Draytek Vigor 2820 broadband router on fibre broadband?

Hi I have just switched to fibre broadband and would like to know if I need a new modem router or if the Vigor 2820 will be able to connect to broadband fibre. If it does work what settings do I need to change to connect?

many thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Can I use a Draytek Vigor 2820 broadband router on fibre broadband?

Hi @Snubber

Welcome to the forums.

As Draytek say at http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/legacy/vigor-2820 the 2820 is an ADSL modem/router so you will need a new device of some sorts. 

According to the above page, you could get a VDSL2 modem and just use the Draytek as a router connected via its WAN port to the new modem. I believe that VDSL2 modems are expensive though so you maybe better off getting a new all -in-one VDSL2 modem/router.

For a list of good all-in-one VDSL2 devices with a good discussion on the devices, I would suggest looking at kitz's forum at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
toposurv

Yes you can use the Draytek 2820 however you will need a VDSL modem. you can get the huawei HG612 or the ECI b-focus B-2FUb/r (both as used to be supplied by openreach) off ebay for around £30. you need to plug the modem into the telephone socket and the modems LAN 1 to the Draytek WAN socket. You will need to set up the draytek with your username and password and change the connection settings from the PPPoA to PPPoe. I have a number of clients using this configuration without any problems ( I use the Draytek 2830 but otherwise the same)

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@toposurv

I didn't think about buying an Openreach modem from ebay. I was just thinking about an VDSL2 modem that someone wanted that allowed multiple external IP's which was in the region of £140. Thank you for mentioning the obvious and much cheaper solution.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

I have the Draytek 2820 and Openreach modem combination working well.

Performance in terms of speed is the same, or slightly better, than the Hub One on my line 58/16 on the 80/20 product.

The Draytek site has detailed instructions for use of the 2820 on BT fibre. I was contemplating buying the 2860 to get a one box solution but the 2820 and modem is good enough to stick with.
I am the satisfied customer....