cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change my TG582n FTTC internet password remotely without killing connection?

Ragon

Can I change my TG582n FTTC internet password remotely without killing connection?

I have no physical access to my router for several weeks as I’m working abroad but I need to urgently change my Plusnet password. I have enabled Remote Assistance on the router and can login remotely to its control panel using the appropriate IP, port, user ID and password. I see the password as *’s under Home > Broadband Connection > Internet Services > Internet. The only way to change it appears to be to use the “Disconnect” button.

My questions:

1. If I change the password in my Plusnet account at www.plus.net, will my router lose connection immediately, or when will that happen?
  2. If I click Disconnect in router control panel, will my Remote Assistance session end immediately? If so, can I re-establish connection as I did before and then type in the new password and then click “Connect”?
  3. Is there a way of doing this safely without killing the connection until I am physically at the router e.g. to reset or restart it?

[CSA Removed] @ Plusnet was very helpful but was not certain what would happen.

Could a kind member of the community, with access to their router, please try to remotely change their password (a good idea if its been the same for ages) and let me know how it went?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

2 REPLIES 2
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Can I change my TG582n FTTC internet password remotely without killing connection?

If the router was auto configured using TR069 and is still associated with your account, I think just changing the password on the portal should work with the router picking up the new password the next time it reconnects. It might need power cycling or a factory reset however. Is there someone that could do those?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Re: Can I change my TG582n FTTC internet password remotely without killing connection?

Hello @Ragon,

Thanks for getting in touch.  TRO69 is active on all accounts and it should allow the router to update the details within the router automatically without causing any disconnection.

When authenticating the router manually your connection will drop when disconnect is clicked and the connection will then be re-established by pressing connect, once the correct details have been entered. This change can only been done via the connection to the router and not remotely I'm afraid.

Please get back to us if you need any further assistance.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team