cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I cancel when I am not being provided with the service I was promised?

hamster67

Can I cancel when I am not being provided with the service I was promised?

I have been a plusnet customer for 4 years and overall have been happy with the service. However a full month ago I upgraded from unlimited fibre to unlimited fibre extra signing up again for 18 months.

Since then I have made four calls regarding an actual drop in speed from 32Mbps to 30Mbps, after the 3rd call I was told the problem was my old router and they replaced it with a hub one. I was previously using a netgear d6400 with my bt openreach modem but it doesn't seem to get on with the plusnet hub and the hub one on its own is rubbish (wi-fi) 

I really have had enough but was told today I cannot leave until 30 days have passed and the problem has not been fixed, I feel since the service I signed up for has never been provided this is a bit unfair (35Mbps min to 55Mbps) I have not been able to achieve more than 30Mbps since upgrade even though on previous contract I had achieved over 40Mbhps regularly.

The poor performance from the Hub one is the icing on the cake, I am being quoted a leaving penalty of over £200. Seems four years loyalty counts for nothing!

One extremely irate customer.

9 REPLIES 9
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Can I cancel when I am not being provided with the service I was promised?

Hi @hamster67,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can see that you've raised and discussed this with my colleagues via your fault ticket, here. The information you've been given regarding the cancellation of your account is accurate - we have recently implemented a 30 day period after which, if your speed fault is not resolved, you will be able to leave without penalty - prior to the introduction of this caveat, speed issues had no time limit and we had no onus to allow cancellation on the back of speed issues.

Having reviewed your fault, I can see (as I suspected) that my colleague has identified banding on your line and has raised a fault and corresponded with our suppliers accordingly to get this removed - once this happens, your sync speed should increase and our faults team will update you accordingly.

Best wishes

Dave

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@hamster67 

Should you want to use the D6400 with your Hub One then you need to set it up in Access Point mode, see. https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-set...

Having done this connect it to a yellow LAN port on the Hub One then go into the Hub One wireless settings in the advanced settings page and switch off the Hubs wireless on both bands.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@hamster67  the D6400 is a VDSL modem/router which means you don't need to use the Hub 1 or Openreach modem, and no need to set it up as an access point.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Very true, hence my comment 'should you wish to use it...'. As the OP was previously using it with a modem it might be set in a funny mode already.

@hamster67 If you are having trouble setting it up I suggest that you do a factory reset by pushing a paperclip or similar in the D6400 reset hole that you will find on the router. Keep the switch depressed for say 25 seconds as on some routers this can take a while to activate then start again with setting it up.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

hamster67

I have been having trouble doing this but the reply below solved my problem. Thank you for replying.

hamster67

Thank you Baldrick1 for that advice, the reset solved the problem. I found the hub ones hi-fi performance shocking, I use sonos speakers and they were dropping out constantly. Plusnet have now increased the speed to 40Mbps. I still feel a bit conned though as early on in my plusnet fibre unlimited ( not extra) I could exceed these speeds. 

I was disappointed in the time it took this issue to be resolved as it was a banding issue on the plusnet side, my min and max speed were both set at 35 Mbps.

Most disappointing of all was the Hub One, its performance was shocking. Thank you so much for your advice. Seems I will be a plusnet customer for another 17 months.

hamster67

And thank you Mustrum, I did indeed set the d6400 up on its own and ditched the troublesome hub one, made such a difference to the home network. I did search on this forum for d6400 settings and seen a few people give up.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@hamster67  I have a D7000 which I have had for a while, very similar to the D6400, wireless and LAN performance is so much better.

It's always worth asking questions on here, there are so many knowledgeable people that can help with settings and information. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'