Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Get A New Router?

Draddict
Hooked

Can I Get A New Router?

Hey all

Is it possible to get a new router from Plusnet? We've had our account for about 4 years give or take a few months. We pay for the Unlimited Fibre Extra each month and for the most part the internet connection is adequate, I work online and from home so a decent connection is vital.

The last few days I have noticed a problem when trying to upload, and on occasion, download. Internet tests tell me that after rebooting my laptop, my speeds are relatively high, 25 mbps download and 18 mbps upload speeds, which is fine. However, after a while this drops to 8 mbps download and 0.07 mbps upload which is NOT fine!

I have tried everything I can think of, I have an extender in the kitchen where I am working and this drops out quite a lot, although when working works well, I have updated my WiFi card drivers, I have cleaned my laptop, I have tried using a TP Link which isn't great and is giving me speeds right now of 15.7 mbps download and 12.6 mbps upload speeds, which will diminish in about an hours time. I have even tried sitting right next to the router and plugging it in via an ethernet cable, which is REALLY not ideal positioning for a days work, and which still doesn't work very well anyway.

This morning I unplugged the router, switched everything off, took out all the plugs, then after 10 mins, plugged it all back in, it eventually reconnected, and was no better.

I'm wondering if a new router from Plusnet might be what I need and if so how do I ask them for one? They never answer the phone and I seem to be on hold more often than not and with my boss calling me every so often during the day, I can't afford to keep trying to call, but at the same time I need to work and am struggling to do so with the shoddy connection! Not to mention that we are spending £300 a year for this "fast connection" which is anything but!

As an alternative measure I could get a Belkin router, but I don't know how to go about getting the correct type and how to set it up.

Need help!

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Can I Get A New Router?

@Draddict Welcome to the forums. This is most likely not a 'router' problem as such, more a BT network issue, but it will need PN Help Team intervention. They will get to you within a reasonable time now you have posted on here.

John
Draddict
Hooked

@jab1 thank you! I hope so! I really have no idea what to do for the best and my boss is losing his patience with my technical issues, as you can probably understand.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Draddict 

The key is whether this is a BT infrastructure fault or something in your home, which could be no more than a wireless issue.

What speeds do you get when connected by an Ethernet cable? If might not be convenient but you can buy ready made cables of any length (maxinun 100m) very cheaply. A very useful thing to keep in the cupboard.

If you are not getting at least the high 30s download with a wired connection then either something is wrong or you are wasting your money paying for fibre extra. Put your phone number in here to see your estimated VDSL speed range at your address.  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Draddict
Hooked

The speeds I should be getting are nowhere near the speeds I am getting, even when plugged in. In fact according to the checker I was just given there, the low end of the speed predictions are higher than the highest speeds I am getting!

This is why I was wondering if a new router may be better?

jab1
Legend

Are these speeds over wireless? If so, you need to do a test over an ethernet connection to rule out a wireless issue., as @Baldrick1 says.

Sight of your 'Troubleshooting' tab may also point to the issue

John
Draddict
Hooked

These speeds are on both, they are slightly faster when connected but not much.

I can certainly paste a screengrab of my troubleshooting tab - can you point me at it lol!

jab1
Legend

Right. Just so we know what we are looking at, can you run BTW Performance Tester - ensuring you do the 'Additional Diagnostics' - if it will run, on both a wired and wireless connection.

To get the Troubleshooting page, log in to the router and open the tab as shown in the picture below:

HubOneTroubleshootingHelpDesk.png

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Draddict

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear that you're having issues with your services. I've now been able to find the account through your Community Profile, so can you please send me a PM with your account username and I'll be more than happy to look into this for you.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jab1
Legend

@adam945 Should the 'now' be 'not'? 😉

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113