cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Called plusnet about packet loss after initial setup, they said "calibration period". What is this?

dcdc
Grafter

Called plusnet about packet loss after initial setup, they said "calibration period". What is this?

I am getting set up with plusnet again after moving. Speeds and latencies seem ok, latencies maybe not great in a worst case sense but ok on average. 

The stand out issue is the packet loss on the first hop off the lan. I called and they were very prompt to answer and the person on the phone indicated this was normal and there was some 10-12 day calibration period where you will see high packet losses. That the modem/router should not be switched off during that period as it would "reset". 

Does anyone have any idea what this is and what could be calibrating for that long? I can only imagine there are some noise stats and then some manual tweaking of the network but it still seems odd. They ran some test to the box and it came back fine. I somewhat trust plusnet because they found a faulty box at my old place by same test and promptly fixed it but the symptoms are similar.