cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinet newly-enabled for FTTC, but only 40/2 available.

hazzamon
Grafter

Cabinet newly-enabled for FTTC, but only 40/2 available.

My local exchange has been FTTC enabled since December, and just in the last week or so I have noticed that my cabinet is now accepting orders. It is part of the BDUK rollout.
There is less than 50m of cabling between my house and the cabinet (I can see it from my window!) so I would expect to be able to achieve the top end of VDSL2 speeds. My current ADSL2+ connection syncs at ~19-20Mbps.
However, according to the BT Wholesale checker, only the 40/10 profile is available from my cabinet - nothing to indicate 80/20. The Plusnet upgrade wizard offers me 40/2 Fibre, but not 80/20 Fibre Extra.

Is this something to expect for a newly-enabled cabinet? Should I wait for the system to catch up with itself, or perhaps there needs to be further equipment installed before Openreach flip a switch to enable 80/20? Or are they only rolling out 40/10 on some cabinets as a cost-saving measure?
11 REPLIES 11
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Cabinet newly-enabled for FTTC, but only 40/2 available.

Your distance to the cabinet effectively means you're limited to the estimated speeds - irrespective of which FTTC package you chose.
hazzamon
Grafter

Even if that distance is less than 50 metres?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Try this route http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput and go via the address option then you can put in various properties around you and see what the answer is
AndyH
Grafter

Based on the speed estimate, you're looking at around 600-700m.
Are you sure the cabinet that is 50m is your one? Have you compared the cabinet number on the checker to that printed on the cabinet?
hazzamon
Grafter

Absolutely sure. I've even seen inside it a few months ago when an engineer came round to install our phone line.
hazzamon
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Try this route http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput and go via the address option then you can put in various properties around you and see what the answer is

Thanks for that - I've given it a go and the neighbouring properties all have literally exactly the same FTTC values as I posted above - it seems 40/10 is a hard cap.
AndyH
Grafter

The DSL checker doesn't show a speed cap.
Which cabinet/exchange is this? (you don't have to post, if you don't want to)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is your fibre cabinet next to your phone/PCP one? Just wondering if fibre has been provided from a distant cabinet?
The Plusnet product change wizard will be offering you only the 40/2 package based on the 32.4Mbps estimate. It doesn't mean 80/20 can't be ordered, but that would have to be done manually.
I suggest giving the Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 or 0330 123 9197
    8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    9am - 7pm Saturday
    9am - 6pm Sunday
to discuss your options. If your phone is with Plusnet and you are happy to re contract you might be able to negotiate a special upgrade offer.
David
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

As has been said, it would appear that your cabinet may not be the close one you think it is. I have heard of several cases like this where the cabinet you think would be your nearest is not the one that is used.
There is no cap, that is just the speed that the system predicts, usually based on distance from cabinet in the absence of any actual achieved speeds to go on.
The Plusnet system will use the BT estimate to determine what package you can get, and given the estimates, doesn't see any point in you having the faster 78Mbps product.
Be careful here though, Plusnet have just changed the upload speed on new provisions of the 38Mbps product. It used to be 20 Mbps max upload. It is now 2. Many other ISPs offer 10 for the 38Mbps product.
So if upload speed is important to you, and you do end up with the 38 Mbps product, it will be 2Mbps max upload.
The max upload speed on the 78 Mbps product is still 20 Mbps.
GeordieMark
Grafter

My cab is 400m (told my OR engineer) and I'm seeing 38/5, I think the upload is shocking but nothing they can do apparently. I guess it depends on if your line is copper or alium
hazzamon
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Is your fibre cabinet next to your phone/PCP one? Just wondering if fibre has been provided from a distant cabinet?

After doing some more digging with the BT wholesale checker, this sadly appears to be the case. Looks like Openreach have put the DSLAM inside the exchange itself, rather than alongside the PCP a few metres from my house. The predicted speeds in the village get progressively faster as they get closer to the exchange, which is on the opposite side of the village from myself and the nearby cabinet.
Looks like I'll have to settle for 40 meg then (perhaps until they roll-out vectoring)! The 2 mbit upload speed that Plusnet is offering now though is unacceptable - I'll have to see if customer services can put me on a 40/10 tariff or else I will be switching supplier!
Thanks for the help everybody!