cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinet full - what options other than watch and wait?

mgillespie
Grafter

Cabinet full - what options other than watch and wait?

So a work colleague want to get faster internet, he is quite a way from an exchange and getting crappy ADSL speeds, but close to a cabinet, which is offering him lightening speeds.  Problem is, cabinet is full, and has been for some time.
What is his best way to get the next free space that becomes available in that cabinet?  He isn't current with Plusnet, but would switch to any ISP that could offer him VDSL2.    Does he have to sit and wait and watch (with a page monitor on the BT wholesale page)?
Do all ISP's have the same process?  is there an advantage with Plusnet (apart from obviously the superior support  Cheesy )?
He seems to get very vague answers from all the ISP's (including Plusnet) that he has spoken to by phone.    One even took and order, told him there was space, gave him a date, and then broke the bad news...  (is this even allowed?)
Can someone shed some light on what his best option is?
many thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Cabinet full - what options other than watch and wait?

Hi Mordac,
Fibre capacity is one of the hardest things that I have to deal with, usually due to it being very hard to get accurate information on when a cabinet will have more capacity added.
In some cases we accept a Fibre order from a customer as all checks we can do with BT Wholesale/Openreach do indicate that FTTC services are available to order and supply to them, however when we place the order and it's being processed with BT Wholesale, they then advise there is no capacity at the cabinet or exchange, which may explain why an order was put through.
The ability to supply FTTC services in a given exchange or cabinet is the same for all BT Network based ISP's, your best option is to agree a Fibre deal though so an order can be placed, once placed it should go onto the waiters list which will let things be monitored by BT Wholesale, if within 90 days they make capacity available your order will automatically progress without any further input, if within 90 days capacity is not added then the order will be cancelled but it can always be re-placed and the process started once more.
I have seen some areas get more capacity within days, I've seen some take a few months, It's really dependant on the demand for service that BT Wholesale/Openreach get.
If you want to PM me over the username to his account I can send a few emails out to see if I can find anything out for you, I will email him using the details on the account if I get anything back
mgillespie
Grafter

Re: Cabinet full - what options other than watch and wait?

Thanks.  He isn't currently with Plusnet, but getting the runaround with his current ISP, and is hoping switching to a better ISP might help him with his quest for faster broadband....
He did make a sales inquiry with Plusnet, but got quite a vague response.