cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinet activated

sully666
Grafter

Cabinet activated

I have had an email from our local authority, who have been pushing the install of fibre locally.  They have informed me that my Exchange Only line is now connected to cabinet to allow Fibre.
How soon would I be able to be connected and what packages are available?
8 REPLIES 8
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Cabinet activated

You're normally looking at around a week minimum.
You can find our latest packages here https://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html?memberheader=upgrade
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
sully666
Grafter

Will have a think about it over the weekend. 
I have read so many horror stories here that I am loath to make the switch and experience the same.  I
have had enough issues while with Plusnet as it is, but you appear to be about the best of a bad lot at the moment.
scottymc
Grafter

I know the forums are full of people asking for help...
But that's why they are here and in my experience you always get the help you need..
I'm in the process of upgrading from adsl to fibre and everything is going to plan hassle free.
Not all upgrades /connections are bad its just people don't put their good experience's on the forum.
If I was you id go for it get the upgrade
JamesMichell
Dabbler

The BT wholesale checker doesn't necessarily show the true picture because it doesn't  accurately measure how far you are from your cabinet. It's worth seeing if you can estimate that yourself and if it's over 2km it's probably not worth bothering to get the upgrade.
sully666
Grafter

I am 250 yards from the new cabinet and about 350 yards as the crow flies from the exchange
fronty
Dabbler

I concur, I've been with PlusNet since my village was enabled for ADSL and had very few issues. With ADSL I was syncing at around 12Mbps, I am less than a mile from the exchange. Now we've had FTTC enabled I ummed and erred about staying with PlusNet after reading lots of horror stories, but the reality for me is that it has been a pain-free, hassle-free experience. My cab is just round the corner, probably only 100-200 yards and I am getting 76Mbps download and 17Mbps upload.
The only issue for me was that PlusNet did not send out an OpenReach modem, luckily the engineer had one in his van and let me have it for free, but it sounds like I was one of the lucky ones, others have not been so fortunate.
So while I sympathise with people having problems, I think they are a tiny minority, unfortunately you generally only hear from people posting about problems, not posting "hey everything's great"! So it's easy to get a distorted picture of things.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Don't be put off by the people who post on here with problems. They are in a minority, albeit an important one & in the ideal world there shouldn't be mistakes during installation & set up.
It is well worth upgrading to fibre, I did it over 3 years ago. These days the engineer doesn't have to visit your home to install the OR supplied modem as PN issue a combined modem/ router. However, I'm not sure what happens about upgrading old BT sockets which I needed when I upgraded.
sully666
Grafter

Have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006VX2P1M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00  Not sure of that makes any difference with fibre.
I also have a ASUS dsl-N55U which I would prefer to keep using, though not sure if it will work with fibre.
I will be waiting until the New Year at least and see if there are any deals to be had  Wink