Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabinet Full - How long a wait?

GeordieMark
Grafter

Cabinet Full - How long a wait?

Hey guys,
As the title suggests, a friend of mine is looking to order Fibre but their cab is showing full and awaiting capacity. How long do these things usually take?
And is there anyone on here "in the know" who might be able to give me any info on this? If so I can post Exchange and Cab details.
Thanks in advance  Smiley
27 REPLIES 27
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Cabinet Full - How long a wait?

You can post the cab/exchange and I can have a look at the last few reports to see if the date keeps on being put back or if it's an accurate estimate.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Cheers Andy, it's cab 8 on NESVL
AndyH
Grafter

The cab isn't full as far as I can see - where do your friend find that out?
It's a large Huawei cab so maybe they've already put in a new line card.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Sorry Andy, it's actually Cab 10!
EDIT: Just noticed the Availability date is Aug 15, is this when the extra capacity is supposedly being added?
AndyH
Grafter

Basically, yeah.
The cabinet looks like it became completely full towards the end of April. OR originally quoted 20 May, then 17 June and now 10 Aug. The latest date should be more accurate as OR have said they aim to clear all existing/delayed cab capacity problems by Sep.
I guess uptake is high in the area as OR put in an ECI 256 cabinet and the number of homes passed is 456.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Excellent thanks for the info, I'll pass it onto my mate.
Out of curiosity can you see how many homes are passed by my cab (9) on the same exchange please? That's a small ECI but AFAIK it covers a lot of estates round here!
AndyH
Grafter

Yeah, it covers 557 homes. Quite a lot for a small ECI cab!
GeordieMark
Grafter

Wow so mine covers even more, Glad I got my order in first then haha! What happens when they get full? Do they add more line cards or would they consider replacing it with a larger huawei? (Sorry for all the questions, curious is all Smiley )
Thanks again
AndyH
Grafter

They put in another cab next to the existing one (if possible) - not sure if they match them or what though.
Th good thing also is that you will always remained connected to the cabinet. Even if you cease your service, you still remain connected at the cab and it's very simple for the service to be reactivated.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Thanks Andy, I can't believe they used a tiny ECI cab when the homes passed is so huge, I bet it's nearly full which is why I'm experiencing such bad crosstalk Sad It also looks like the BDUK cabs are all Huawei, at least in my area anyway.
Oh also there's a middle and high school next to that cab, I'm not sure if they have their own leased line in however, or are using some kind of VDSL2 bonding... All I know is they have a massive wifi antenna that covers half the town haha
AndyH
Grafter

Cab 20 is a ECI cab on NESVL done under BDUK. The other 10 are Huawei cabs though. There is a reason why Huawei cabs were chosen though, particularly in terms of vectoring.
I would imagine the school has some kind of leased line.
GeordieMark
Grafter

My ECI cab has a BDUK iNorthumberland sticker on it, but it doesn't appear to be a BDUK one, which was confusing... but yeah looks like I'm out of luck with Vectoring anyway, which I've made my peace with now Tongue
AndyH
Grafter

Vectoring isn't a solution to our future speed needs - in fact, FTTC has a relatively short life (a lot less than predicted).
It's probably better to be in an area covered by BT's own commercial deployment as these areas will most likely get the next broadband technology first - someone will have to part fund the BDUK areas.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Yeah I'm hoping FIbre to the node / DP comes here, my pike / PD is literally at the other side of my road 😛 although the box that holds the pairs is hanging off which can't be helping 😕