cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cab outside exchange

Yarm
Dabbler

Cab outside exchange

My fibre cabinet is right outside the exchange and the status is in the "connect" phase.

My line length is 3.5 miles and I think thats too far for VDSL and I doubt I'll be able to order fibre, however when its ready I'd be willing to pay to try it (for a month) even if its slower, can the rules be bent to allow this?

10 REPLIES 10
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Cab outside exchange

Are you certain the Cabinet is so far from your house?

Can you get an ADSL service?

Brian

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@Yarm - I'm afraid we won't be able to allow you to "trial" the service.

Having said this, once it's provided if your connection doesn't achieve the expected speed and we arrange an engineer to investigate that reports it cannot be fixed we would allow you to revert back to the original contract.

If you don't check already, I'd advise to keep an eye out at: https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx It's estimated that the fibre cabinet should be ready within 4 months...

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

At 3.5 miles distance, I wouldn't expect any FTTC service to be offered even once the cabinet is ready.

Even the Long Reach VDSL2 trial document gives the maximum loss (D-side attenuation measured at 300kHz) as 40 dB.

Yarm
Dabbler

@ejs

One of my friends is in the same situation and his cab is nearer then mine and he isnt able to order it due to the distance, however my current ADSL connection was estimated at half to 1 megabit and im getting 5 so I would have at least liked to try it for myself and see what happens! although it is a long shot and would probably be dissapointing.

@Anoush

Yeah, I check that site every day! Although I know its kinda futile.

Its nice to know that if i could order it i can revert back, that s quite cool.

There is a lovely bit of spare ground at the end of my side garden next to the road that would make an ideal site for a cab, can you get openreach to build one there?! Wink

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@Yarm wrote:

There is a lovely bit of spare ground at the end of my side garden next to the road that would make an ideal site for a cab, can you get openreach to build one there?! Wink

...allowing you to harness all the raw power of the internet? Roll_eyes

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
bmc
Hero

Unless I'm missing something if you can get an ADSL service you'll get an FTTC one if (or when) the FTTC cab is live.

You say you're currently receiving a download speed of around 5. I assume you're on an "up to 24" product so allowing for line overhead you're between 20 & 25% of possible speed. Applying that to FTTC top speeds might give an indication of what you'll get.

Have you tried https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx to see what it says.

If you're happy to post your Exchange and Cabinet number there is another site (CodeLook) I can look at.

Brian

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You can't compare ADSL & fibre speeds unfortunately as they are dependent on different factors namely distance from exchange and distance from cabinet.

You could be miles away from the exchange resulting in poor ADSL speeds but the fibre cabinet could be outside your front door giving full fibre speeds.
bmc
Hero

You're correct. I failed to consider this.

ADSL is from the Exchange

VDSL is from the FTTC cabinet.

However, in my defence the OP has stated his cabinet is next to the Exchange so my rough guide might be in the ball park!!!

Brian

Yarm
Dabbler

@bmc

I would take codelook info with a pinch of salt, for one thing the cab locations are way off.

My friend's cab has recently gone live (and is outside the exchange) and he cant order fibre, on the "when can i get fibre" site it says cabinet is live but your distance is too far, he checked a farm down the road and the esimated fibre speed was a fraction of adsl speed! so it dosent carry well over distance at all.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@bmc you need to look into fttc a bit more deeply as the drop in speed against distance is much much higher on FTTC than on ADSL