cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHAP authentication failed (ASUS router)

kazade
Dabbler

CHAP authentication failed (ASUS router)

I've just purchased an ASUS RT-AC51U router after my last one gave up the ghost. It's connected through the OpenReach modem and I've checked the credentials and settings over and over again, yet it keeps complaining that CHAP authentication failed. On the main screen it says the username or password is invalid. I've called support and they ran a line test, and checked the password, but they don't have a clue. Does anyone have any ideas? Getting desparate!

25 REPLIES 25
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: CHAP authentication failed (ASUS router)

Are you adding the correct username >>  username@plusdsl.net 

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Make sure to do the manual setup, and don't use DHCP for the WAN but PPPOE as authentication.

Then the details are your username that you use to login to the member centre and the password you use to login to the member centre in the format provided below.

eg.

username >  bob@plusdsl.net

password  >  bobspassword

kazade
Dabbler

Yeah, I've tried those things. I've checked the password is the same as the member centre, and I'm using the @plusdsl.net domain in the username.

I've attached a picture of the log output. I'm running out of options to change to be honest... it's weird, with my last router I had similar issues configuring and then it just magically started working without me changing anything. But this time no amount wishful thinking is helping 😛

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

that looks like plusnets end to me

kazade
Dabbler

Yeah I think so to, I think something's gone wrong with my account, but when I phoned up the guy at the other end didn't seem to think there was anything he can do about it... is there any way to get in touch with a real engineer who can look at it? Can someone hit my account with a hammer please?

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Um.

It looks like it does connect properly but something is failing the authentication.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/CHAP-authentication-failed/m-p/789939/highlight/true#M132757

Try to change your member centre password and see if this does anything. I'd also disable the automatic hardware setup in case that might be interfering with anything in your connection settings page on the member centre.

If there's still a problem, report a fault at faults.plus.net (which will take a couple of days for a response) or use their Twitter support @plusnethelp where they should be able to help you a bit more better (I think they use experienced staff or something on their twitter)

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Just a thought is  Auto log out in settings = 0 ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
kazade
Dabbler

OK, so I've:

- Changed my member center password again and updated the router - nope, nothing

- The auto log out was set to 0 (but that says that 0 means never) but changing it to 900 seconds didn't do anything

kazade
Dabbler

Oh, and trying to disable auto router setup does this:

"Oops! That didn't work.

It looks like a system error has stopped us from updating your selection. Sorry about that!

Please come back later and give it another go."

Sad

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

OOOOOps we not having a lot of luck here Embarrassed

have you reset router to factory default , small hole in back ?  little button

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's not a router I've used, is it definitely a VDSL one? Does it still need the Openreach modem to be used alongside it?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's not the password, we'd see that hitting our RADIUS servers and being rejected there. As it stands we're not even seeing the connection hitting the BTWholesale side of things before it gets to us.

@Riza wrote:

Try to change your member centre password and see if this does anything. 

It might be worth investigating as a fault, however if it's the router causing the issue it'll be a £65 engineer charge. Testing the line isn't showing any obvious issues.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kazade
Dabbler

OK, so it's probably a good bet that it's related to the router settings. I can telnet into the router and view/edit the ppp settings directly if it helps? I'm not sure what settings are required to be there though and which ones are superfluous Smiley

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A thought - is the modem connecting

Can you check whether the relevant lights are green http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36945/~/fibre-home-phone-service%3A-lights-on-the-ope...