cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering

greshoff
Grafter

Buffering

I recently upgraded to fibre and thought that I wouldn't have issues with netflix buffering but this is not the case. There is usually a buffering issues every time netflix & prime are watched. The TV is connected to the router via a homeplug.

Any advice regarding this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Buffering

@greshoff 

Buy a long Ethernet cable, they are not expensive, and temporarily by-pass the powerline devices. You can then see whether it is a powerline problem.  I had nothing but trouble with powerline buffering and produced this. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

greshoff
Grafter

Would connecting via wifi be a better option?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@greshoff 

It’s my least preferred option but try it. The first thing really is to determine the cause of your problem. What speed do you get with a computer connected to your hub with an Ethernet cable?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @greshoff

I'm sorry to see you're having issues streaming from Netflix and Prime.

I've tested your line and the tests are showing your router's getting the full 40mbps download speed and 10mbps upload speed, though they are also showing what's known as a bridge tap which is generally a wiring issue and something that's more apparent on fibre broadband compared to ADSL (standard broadband).

This may be a red herring though and not affecting your service, so could you check how things are over WiFi and if possible by plugging a laptop/computer straight into your router using an ethernet cable?

Let us know how it goes and if you're still having issues, we'll arrange an Openreach engineer with you to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
greshoff
Grafter

Many thanks for your input.

The affects the TV rather than the computer as far as I can tell.  I dont watch iplayer, netflix or prime on the computer.

Connecting the TV directly to the Router is going to be difficult. I will try connecting it via wifi to see if this makes any difference.

Many thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @greshoff

Ah makes sense, no problem. Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
greshoff
Grafter

Unfortunately the TV wasn't able to connect via wifi. Not sure where to go from here

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

I'm sorry to hear that's the case @greshoff. Does the TV not have the option to connect to wireless networks, or was it simply unable to detect your router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
greshoff
Grafter

Thanks for your response
The TV was able to connect to the router but on line content wasn’t available
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us @greshoff. When you say the online content wasn't available, were the usual apps still accessible and returning an error message when attempting to load into them, or were they just completely missing from the menus?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
greshoff
Grafter

Thanks for responding. I will spend a little more time over the weekend having another go at connecting the TV via wifi and will keep notes of what happens.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @greshoff

Let us know how it goes. It may be worth plugging your router into what's known as the test socket explained Here as this should rule out an internal wiring issue. I've also raised a fault ticket on your account Here in case we need to arrange an Openreach engineer visit. If the test socket and using WiFi this weekend don't help, I'd recommend replying to that ticket with when you'll be available for a visit so we can investigate further. 

Feel free to post back to let us know how things go. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet