cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering with full speed? YouTube, Plex BBC

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Re: Buffering with full speed? YouTube, Plex BBC

Looks as though I will have to ring again as the online chat is never available and they don’t respond to twitter either. 

sambostrand

Same problem here, Calderdale area. It's been about two weeks since it started with the constant buffering and dropping to the lowest resolution on Youtube even though my download speed is at it's highest available.

Contacted technical support to look in to it and they cannot see any abnormalities on the line but are going to monitor the connection for the next few days.

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

I wouldn’t hold your breath, they’re about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe.
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

@sambostrand wrote:

Same problem here, Calderdale area. It's been about two weeks since it started with the constant buffering and dropping to the lowest resolution on Youtube even though my download speed is at it's highest available.

Contacted technical support to look in to it and they cannot see any abnormalities on the line but are going to monitor the connection for the next few days.

Yeah, it's clearly a network issue not an individual issue for people so monitoring a line for someone isn't going to get anywhere or is it going to find any problems as the lines are fine.

I'm hoping someone takes note of this because it's obviously been an ongoing issue. 

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

HI all,  

Sorry for not checking on this thread earlier.  It was sent over to me but I missed it.

Are you still seeing the problems?  Has anyone noticed it being resolved via a change to a static ip?  (This changes the way you route through the networks, so sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't).

Is it all the time, or only at certain parts of the day?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Hi,

It only happens on certain videos, to me it seems like you are connecting to a server far away and not the CDN so the bandwidth available is much lower. Quite a few people have pointed out that it happens more when going through a Sheffield routing point. Plenty of info posted in this thread.

It’s the second time this has happened, the first time it cleared up on its own but its a very frustrating issue as you have got full bandwidth to everything else online but bad routing to YouTube.

One video might load at full bandwidth, the next one 1080kbps. I have not tried a static update but I am willing to try it if it helps this issue.
Kelly
Hero

Is it replicable on those videos?  I.e. are the videos always slow once you've found a slow one?  Also, is it slow across different browsers?

Kelly Dorset
Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

They are slow across the board, doesn’t matter what device or browser you are on. I don’t personally have experience retrying videos as I have been using a VPN lately to avoid this issue.

Maybe once the video has propagated more the bad routing goes away but I’m not sure.
Kelly
Hero

@Gandalf is giving you a static IP.  Let's see if that has the same impact as using the VPN.  If so, that suggests there might be a routing problem between you and the Youtube caches.

Can you see if you can replicate now?

Kelly Dorset
rd1956
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I was one of those moved to a static ip and while it fixed the issue for a while, I have noticed increasing buffering this last week.  It is by no means as bad as it was but I tell the issue is still there somewhere.  Also before and while on static I also get videos that auto start at 360p on a regular basis 

It is the same accross different browsers and PC, Laptop and Phone.

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

I will do once I am back home this afternoon.
Rubicon
Hooked

PLUSNET. Clearly it is an issue with your servers, we cant all be having the same issues with buffering, particularly adverts prior to a vid. Perhaps your senior network guys need to look at the servers\infrastructure end, I bet its buffer bloat your end.

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Ok so I am back home now and have tested as many random videos as I can without the VPN on and it seems to be back to normal, ,I couldn't find a slow video. However the first time this happened when I created this thread the issue went away on its own so this in no way validates that the static IP address has fixed the issue. We would need more people who were also having this issue that haven't got the static IP to say whether the issue still exists for them. I do think Plusnet need to look deeper into this to see why it keeps coming back. For me as someone who's contract is expiring soon that has two children who like to spend their screen time on Youtube kids having buffering issues becomes a problem real fast!

plusnet.jpg

sgreener
Grafter

I have a static IP address. Been allocated a couple of weeks and suffer badly with the issues previously mentioned. It made no difference to me,
Kelly
Hero

@sgreener Do you only see issues with Youtube?  Or on any other sites?

Kelly Dorset