cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering with full speed? YouTube, Plex BBC

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Re: Buffering with full speed? YouTube, Plex BBC

Yeah, it's doing it again for me now struggling on both wired desktop PC and also on phone, a video just now took ages to connect to start and then kept constantly buffering and getting stuck.

It's not my connection or my speeds because they're great so not sure what it is.

I hope they can fix it soon, I've only noticed this happening for me in YouTube, everything else with the internet connection is fine.
Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Yes I agree that is just YouTube for me as well.

Yorkshirelion
Rising Star

Here is a random video I tried to watch on iPad, the issue presents in the exact same way as when I originally posted this thread. 

alexpn
Dabbler

I am also getting this again.

I also experienced the exact same issue along with YorkshireLion previously this year, in older replies to this thread.

Certain YouTube videos load at dial up speed, yet speed tests show 70Mbps down / 20Mbps, no packet loss and low ping. Other sites and services work without issue.

Think PlusNet have an underlying issue with YouTube routing they need to resolve, really annoying.

I have also experienced this in previous years so I do not think the current situation is related.
sgreener
Grafter

I’m really tired of this...

You do or you don’t think?

I can confirm that I’m also experiencing this on YouTube and I’m aware that others are having issues with other streaming services to which I don’t use and therefore can not comment. Are there any others here using “other” streaming services other than YouTube who can comment.

I can also state staff clearly avoid this subject, denying the issue exists. I can see a pattern where individuals participate in a thread discussion with some hope they’re assisted by staff only to be told to leave the thread and start a new thread to raise issues concerned. I do not agree with this. This advice is clearly designed to cause distraction and exasperate the discussion in hand.

From my account I can see that I have an open ticket regarding this issue that has been left dormant for a number of months. Has anyone else had any response from plusnet staff regarding this?

rd1956
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Noticed this since the weekend as well but shrugged it off as probably the router needing a reboot.

Well the reboot happened yesterday and no improvement.

Youtube will start buffering seemingly random videos.and as of posting this message, the issue persists.

Rubicon
Hooked

FYI

During lockdown an EU minister (idiot) in Europe complained that the the likes of Apple TV, Netflix, Prime, Disney + and so forth should throttle their streaming services, effectively by doing so, UHD was no longer streaming at the correct UHD\HD rates and so forth. ATMOS metadata was also stopped. Most of them have not bothered to increase the streaming rates again, thanks to that one EU minister whom clearly didn't have a clue and ISPs stated they were all way in capacity. So, alot of peeps are paying for UHD services and are not being provided them at the right rates!!!

Dunno if Youtube did anything but I have also seen buffering now but only the last two weeks or so, combined with a drop in my fibre speed, ironically just above the min speed.

Only other thing is the West getting cyber attacks (since a lot of reports of bizarre internet slow downs) from the like of our China\Russian friends, my EdgeRouter firewall is now blocking (by country) the whole of SE Asia and Russia etc.

Think going forwards, FTTP is the way forward and if PN dont provide it, I will be jumping ship, its not the company it was in the early 2000's.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, I think the frustrating thing is not only having to wait for the video or adverts to start but when you want to skip through a video, you can't really as it doesn't show the picture as you slide (just a blank screen) and connecting to a different part in the video also gets stuck it's very frustrating.

I will say though that Plusnet for me have been absolutely fantastic with customer service, taking care of us and caring about our service, I'm really happy with Plusnet but this issue is frustrating for sure.

It has also started for me at the same time as everyone else here so it's obviously an issue somewhere.
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

It's really bad tonight, it really is just YouTube.

Just tried watching a video and it's taking ages to connect, then when it did was 240p and played about a minute if that and buffered

Internet connection is fine with good speed tests, it's just a YouTube issue.
tiddletoddle
Hooked

Yeah, happening with me too. Lots of buffering and quality downgrades to 144p 😕

jb68
Grafter

Yeah happening to me again 

southerner
Aspiring Pro

This is starting to resonate with me.
For a while now the bit rate & connection speed on YouTube has been yo-yoing causing the picture to cycle between UHD and 240p causing the picture to cycle between very detailed and blured. Rakuten TV was doing it as well.
I did try to grab a static IP as a temporary fix but it said my account didn't offer this and that I'd have to upgrade/pay more to get one.
I thought it was my router, network, but it seems not.
alexpn
Dabbler

Sorry this is unrelated to the lockdown.

This issue has been occurring on and off for years, but has occurred twice now this year. As others have discovered earlier in this thread, it seems Plusnet have a caching server/load balancer in their Sheffield data centre (hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk) which every now and again, for weeks on end, has crazy high packet loss and latency when resolving certain domains, mainly YouTube’s video CDN. As a result you can have a blazing fast connection but struggle to load YouTube in 240p.

You can find a few other threads in relation here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plusnet+youtube+sheff+dial+site:community.plus.net&client=safari&h...

This issue should not be occurring, however I can appreciate technical glitches are sometimes inevitable. What I do not appreciate is how Plusnet are outright ignoring this issue, and try to act like this is a customer fault whenever you raise it with their support and willing to let customers go by, so much for the award winning support.

Plusnet Staff seem to be in denial about this, however if this is not resolved I will be switching provider.
sgreener
Grafter

Well put!

By any chance have you any saved logs or screenshots?

I’ve also been able to see issues using pingplotter but to be honest with you I had to research the meanings of the logs so I left it alone.

So thank you for clarifying your findings and sharing this information.

I have started another thread on this subject after taking advice from plusnet telling me to do so.

Would you have any objections to me cut and pasting your comments there. Or if you could post again in that thread with your finding would be excellent!

I’m currently exploring ways to move forward with this. Any help is a big help.
rd1956
Grafter

Still had the issue today after a week so I called and after a speed issue with the static IP change, everything is working properly and no more buffering.

tracert shows i'm no longer routing through that sherif or whatever the name is server, but now its either colinsdale or a general IP range.

TLDR: Static IP fixed the issue.