Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering on BBC iPlayer, All4 etc

nimdy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Buffering on BBC iPlayer, All4 etc

I have a pretty solid connection. Myself or the family can be streaming content for hours on end and have no issues. Recently I am getting what seems to be buffering issues on BBC iPlayer and All4 apps on my Roku and Chromecast with Google TV. My Unifi controller tells me both these wireless devices have excellent signal to the access point nearest them. During the buffering I can also do a speettest.net test and get normal speeds for my line. 

Could my line have changed recently? I have made no changes to my internal wiring or networking for many months, but this issues has been occurring in the last few weeks. 

5 REPLIES 5
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Buffering on BBC iPlayer, All4 etc

Hi @nimdy

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear this. I have run some tests on the line and it does appear that the line is operating under your minimum guaranteed speeds, though 46Mbps should be more than enough to stream BBC iPlayer, it's still less than the speeds we promised on your latest contract. I've sent an email to do some troubleshooting., and have also made a slight change on the account which may improve the service.

Keep an eye on it for now, and run a speed test in a few hours time (wired), and let me know if this improves at all. I too have issues with iPlayer buffering, and the TV is extremely close to the router, I've never been able to figure this out either. Have you tried connecting your TV to the router via Ethernet at all? (if compatible)

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
nimdy
Rising Star

@adam945 Please can you let me know whether lifting the cap on my connection will update my Openreach modem automatically, or will I need to disconnect and reconnect? Thanks.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @nimdy

I'd advise you to manually reset your router within a few hours.

Adam
nimdy
Rising Star

Thank you for the call and keeping me updated. I do not believe this is specifically a speed fault, but instead connection reliability issues. The disconnect/reconnects on the Visual Radius chart seem to match where I have had a few minutes of downtime on the line. I see the bottom of the chart says online for 11 days at the start of May but averages 3 or 4 days since then. Do these graphs go back any further? I had a rock solid connection before May. 

image16237546269505

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good morning @nimdy

Thank you for your response, while the speeds on your line are not exactly slow, they're still below the speeds which we guaranteed you on your contract, so regardless, we'll be trying to get them within the estimated speeds we advertised. I'm also able to see the disconnections on my end which are occurring every few days. A broadband line test which I've run this morning shows the slow speeds, but offers little explanation as to why the disconnections are occurring, other than electrical interference which is shown be occurring on a daily basis.

This can be caused by external factors, but can also be caused by things such as where the router is situated within the property. If you can, please try to ensure that your router, along with the wiring is away from other electrical equipment within the property. I can see that a new router is currently being processed to be sent out as well, which will also improve your connection. I've attached my line test results to this post for your reference Smiley

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 48.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 16.1 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 472.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From03:15to08:45
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 8
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-06-03T10:00:00
 Adam