cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering & Download speed issues

townterrier

Buffering & Download speed issues

Hello, I have Plunet fibre with speeds of 64meg down and 15meg up.  I have the TP Link AV500 homeplugs plugged into my router (TP Link W9980) downstairs, and the other plugged into my android player upstairs (Mobie Dazzle).  My WD MyCloud NAS box is also plugged into my router, from which I watch my films, and listen to music.
No buffering most times, only seems to buffer at night, maybe midnight, apart from last night about 8 o'clock.  Had to switch off, was impossible to watch without constant buffering.  I restrted router, NAS box, android box, unplugged homeplugs, nothing seemed to make a difference....I thought with the good download speeds I can now achieve, this would be a thing of the past!  Am I doing something wrong?
Also noticed, my speeds ( I use Ookla and BTWholesale) when laptop is directly plugged into router are the max I should expect, ie 64mb down, and I think 19mb up.  Although when on laptop I'm lucky if I get 15-25mb up and 5-10mb down?!
I purchased the W9980 will browsing these forums, it doesn't seem much better, in regard to download speeds as the supplied router from Plusnet (Sagem 2704n).
Any advice gratefully accepted....
5 REPLIES 5
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Buffering & Download speed issues

I'd suggest you go back to basics on this one, and try a direct connection through ethernet from the router to the laptop to see if the issues persist. From there, we can advise further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
townterrier

Thanks for the advice. 
I have plugged my router into the router directly via ethernet, and the download speeds are as expected, 65mb down and 15mb up.....
Can't understand why the speeds via wireless would drop so dramatically, and also the homeplug buffering issues when directly connected?
Why can't things just work??!
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

If things worked, it would put me out of work Smiley
Seriously, I would have expected the home plugs to have sorted the issue. Check that the cables are OK, and reset the plugs and hopefully this will sort it.
Re wireless, try changing the channel and this may help.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
townterrier

Thanks plusnettony for the advice. 
I have been advised elsewhere to set the channel mode to 'n' only, and the width to 40mhz.  Seems to have made a difference anyway.  Will test it out for a couple of days.
With regard to the homeplug set-up, been watching a film tonight streaming from my NAS, no buffering issues at all, played smoothly.......seems to just happen randomly, and for no apparent reason!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to see things have improved.
If you have any further issues please let us know.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team